Help! Can't see model and can't use tools or zoom extent

Hi, Iwas hoping someone could help me. My file turned grey apart from 3 guide lines and I can’t see my model or use any of the tools on this particular file. Other files work fine so SketchUp itself is working, just not with this particular file. I spent a lot of hours on it and I really don’t want to have to restart it again as I was near finishing. There’s no back-up file or autosave file anywhere.

I heard Zoom Extent would help but it does nothing! Ive updated my OS software, Ive restarted and re-opening the file but it’s still just grey. I even unticked the OpenGL settings. I’ve seen other threads where this has happened to other people, and it seemed that the only solution was allowing other people to have a look at the file and “fix” it, but I don’t know how they’ve fixed them. So I was wondering if anyone can help me.

Please and thank you!!

How about uploading the SKP file so we can see it and give you an answer.

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/7bafd176-c953-4878-ba16-ddf62fd64c07/Final-idea Oops forgot to add that! Thanks for the fast reply!

Somehow your view’s camera has gotten moved out of the solar system. I fixed it with the following code in the Ruby Console:

cam = Sketchup::Camera.new([10.m,10.m,10.m], ORIGIN, [0,0,1])
Sketchup.active_model.active_view.camera = cam
Sketchup.active_model.active_view.zoom_extents

Usually when this happens there is some entity that is either very far from the model or very large, but I couldn’t find anything like that in your file…

4 Likes

Thank you for doing that! I appreciate it! So I guess I’ve managed to lose the model as well, :frowning:, Thank you for your help anyway!

Not sure what you mean? After I corrected the camera, there was content in the model:

1 Like

Oh sorry i see what you mean now! Sorry still a newbie to sketchup! Thank you so so much :smile:

I couldn’t fix your original SKP file.
Something wrong with its extents - although its bounds reported as relatively modest.
However, I deleted all guides, selected all and copied it to the clipboard.
Then I pasted it into a new SKP [which can’t be attached as it’s too big - I suspect giant textures ? since the geometry is modest - The …sleeper… texture is 239 Mb, Wood 01 is 7.2Mb, Wood_Floor is only 759kb ! ].
I attached a much smaller “de-textured” SKP !
FINALskp.skp (276.2 KB)

It seemed to work !

PS: A file named xxx~.skp is a MAC backup file - the original SKP has no ~ in it !

2 Likes

Thank you! I did fear it was the textures that may of caused it! I appreciate the help :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed after 91 days. New replies are no longer allowed.