Having trouble with the stamp tool

Hi guys,

I’ve read about the stamping tool and watched a tutorial but when I follow the below procedure, number 5 is not working. Sketchup does not allow me to click on the terrain…

(The terrain is from an imported geo location)

1. Move the group or component so that it hovers above your TIN, in the position where you want to create the stamp.
2. Click the Stamp tool () on the Sandbox toolbar or select Tools > Sandbox > Stamp from the menu bar.
3. Click the group or component that you want to use as a stamp.
4. Type an offset value and press Enter (Microsoft Windows) or Return (Mac OS X). This sets how much space you have to create a transition between your group or component and the terrain. The value you choose depends on how you want your object to blend in (or not) with the surrounding terrain, as well as how flat or sloped your terrain is.
5. Click your terrain. The pad for your group or component appears, and the cursor changes into an up and down arrow, as shown in the figure (Callout 1).
6. Move the mouse cursor up or down to set the flat pad’s height.
7. Click to finish the stamp operation. When you’re done, you can use the Move tool to set your group or component on its flat surface, as shown on the right in the figure (Callout 2).

As you can see, I’m trying to stamp my object to the terrain surface.

The red bounding box in your screenshot would indicate the terrain Group is locked.
Right context click on the Group > Unlock

1 Like

@Geo your a legend.

It worked well.

Any idea why the model has gone all funny like this?

1 Like

Perhaps this 4-minute video explains what you’re seeing.
A face flashes when I orbit — by Aidan Chopra

Screenshots are a poor way of demonstrating a problem model.
Allowing us to work with the model definitely save everyone’s time and patience.

If it’s <3MB, then upload the model when you reply.
Files >3MB can be shared at the 3D Warehouse or via a cloud file sharing service like Google Drive or Dropbox.

1 Like

Ok sure. Thank you.

Any recommondations for video tutorials to widen my sketchup skillset?

• The Official SketchUp Training Videos at YouTube

• Aidan Chopra Videos

2 Likes