Grouping items extends below items

need help figuring out why the grouping extends below my items. It it throwing off the measurements of my wall receptacles

Thanks in advance.

Chris

grouping off
grouping off2

Evidently your group contains some entities that are currently hidden. Likely those entities have a tag that is turned off. Your GIFs show that you are using tags incorrectly. That’s likely the root of your problem.

You should be leaving Untagged active and leave all edges and faces untagged. Only groups and components should get tags.

if everything is untagged how am I supposed to group things, click on them one at a time?

moved to the untagged layer, exploded the group. Tried to regroup and still adding
grouping off3
space below.

You should have been making groups or components to contain the geometry (edges and faces) as you went along. In SketchUp wrapping geometry in group or component containers is the way you keep things separated. Then assign tags to those groups and components to control the visibility of them.

Simply putting the pencil back where it belongs next to Untagged doesn’t fix the incorrectly tagged geometry.

Share your SketchUp model file.

You should go through the instructional materials at learn.sketchup.com before you plow ahead any further with this model.

all layers turned on and you can see clearly there is nothing below the walls. ungroup and group and the issue persists.

What am I missing?
grouping off4

Looks like there’s dimensions included or some hidden geometry. They will affect the size of the bounding box.

Again, share the .skp file.

Turning a tag off doesn’t stop geometry on it from being selected. Your walls must have edges and faces attached to them that are on hidden tags.

yes thank you I understand that. As I stated all tags are turned on in the above GIF and nothing is hidden so what is being added ti the group? There is nothing there.

For the third time, share your SketchUp file so we can help you get it sorted out.

soon as I figure out how to do that DAVE

won’t upload here as max file size is 16 Mb and file is 53Mb

Upload it to DropBox and share the link.

DaveRSketchUp Sage

cmthaube

26m

You should have been making groups or components to contain the geometry (edges and faces) as you went along. In SketchUp wrapping geometry in group or component containers is the way you keep things separated. Then assign tags to those groups and components to control the visibility of them.

exactly what I did Dave…

roger that…

Then you should have no reason to havetags assigned to the geometry and no reason to have anything but Untagged as active.

Have a look and see if I did it correctly…

I’m downloading it now. I’ll look ASAP.

appreciate you assistance

There are 36 short edges that total about 1/2 in. in length located below the bulk of the geometry in that group.
edges
Deleting the fixes your problem with the bounding box size.

1 Like