FredoCorner, True Bend deletes faces

Hi all, I’m brand new to Sketchup and I have been learning a lot in a short amount of time; it’s an amazing tool! I am working on a sunglasses model and have reached a point where I consistently run into the same issue while using several different extensions. Trying to use True Bend in one instance and FredoCorner in another, and the end result keeps deleting small triangular faces throughout the model. I’ve done a fair bit of searching but can’t seem to find anything on this. Is there a known reason why this occurs?

Edit: I should add that I’ve tried scaling up the model but the same problem happens.

Thanks very much for your help.

Max

1 Like

Here is another screenshot after using FredoCorner.

Cheers

1 Like

By what scale factor? I suggest 100X. Or asked another way, what is the length of the shorter edges on the scaled-up model?

1 Like

Hi, thank you for your response - I’ve just tried 1000x. Strangely when I scale up and then use the extensions, the size of the deleted faces scale up by the same proportion. In that instance, the smallest “deleted” triangle edge in the screenshot is ~500mm. I am on Sketchup 2017 (desktop/mac). Wondering if that’s the culprit…?

Best,

Max

I think this one is perhaps too hard to tell without seeing the model. You should leave a file that we (the community) can take a look at.

1 Like

Hi Araya, I’ve attached the model. The issue seems to occur even with rather simple push/pulled shapes; I added a before/after True Bent lens in the attached. If it works flawlessly on your end then I suppose we can conclude it’s an issue on mine… I will be out for the evening but will check back in first thing tomorrow. Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it.

Bon-Sunglasses.skp (3.2 MB)

1 Like

I’m slammed busy, I was hoping someone would help you with this. I’ll see if I can review this and respond to you soon but can’t promise, sorry. Hope you get this solved soon though.

1 Like

I would certainly be scaling up by 1000x to work with this geometry, these look like classic tiny face errors. That said I have no problem using True Bend on these lenses in SU21, even at this scale.

I did need to scale up to apply FredoCorner to the arm. I worked on a scaled component instance then deleted it once the operation was complete.

1 Like

Ok that’s good news, ostensibly the model is working. Are you able to try true bend on the frame itself? Say at a ~20 degree angle? No rush of course :slight_smile: I’m still a bit confused why my 1000x scaled frame was running into the same issue but maybe I just need to upgrade versions.

Thanks again,

Max

I looked at your model and found a lot of very small edge segments present even when scaled up by a factor of 1000. You could scale up further and get around that but to be honest, I think I would first reduce the amount of geometry used there. It doesn’t need to be as complex as you have it.

I assume you’ve imported an stl file you got from somewhere like Thingiverse. Might be better to redraw the frame using your import only as a guide. If you are modeling for 3D printing, consider modeling in meters instead of millimeters. This will help you avoid the tiny face issue from the beginning. Export the .stl as meters but import it into the slicer as millimeters. STL files have no units so there’s no need to scale the model down before exporting it.

2 Likes

I made it from scratch but was at 1x scale most of the way. I have some in-progress saves so maybe I retrace my steps a bit, scale it up and try again? I think the SubD made it very complex, and then i used a sharpen rounded corners tool that probably added to that. I will definitely try and simplify it! Thanks!

Using quads, Vertex Tools for bending, FredoCorner > Subdivision and Sub D

och-04

1 Like

You got 3 of some of the best people using sketchup who could help you on this @mfgex

Good luck!!

2 Likes

Wow! that’s amazing! May I ask how you achieved the low-poly quad model in the first step? Did you re-draw it completely, or is there a trick to revert the model back to low-poly for this purpose?

I was having a tough time in the beginning drawing it fully in quads, particularly at the bridge which gave me some serious waviness later on.

Going to try and figure this out… Cheers!

1 Like

I completely redraw it
och-03

Take a look at this type of tutorials and try to apply the modeling style (with quads) in SketchUp, using the necessary extensions

1 Like

Awesome, will do! One more question; how were you able to draw the FredoCorner lines without actually rounding the corners? Or was it a simple offset of the frame outline?

Thanks so much for taking the time to help me with this, you guys are incredible :slight_smile:

Max

1 Like

och-05

2 Likes

Ah, amazing. OK I think I have a much better model now; will report back soon and hopefully it’s all working!

So far:

• scale up 1000x
  • simplify the geometry, use quads as much as possible
  • fredo subdivide before SubD, possibly truebend before as well

Cheers

Max

1 Like

well here’s the finished product (after rendering in Vray). very very happy with the result! thank you all so much for your help!

9 Likes

saweet! They look awesome! Great job