Forest Church - getting around that 50mb limit for downloading skp files

Hey everyone, they asked me if I could pull a very old Forest Church into Sketchup. I needed to import photos into my Sketchup drawing file so I could keep up with what I was doing. The Sketchup drawing files get big really fast, so I sent one to my website where I can make available an 80 mb Sketchup file. Here’s the web address: https://pistonrobot.com/discussions-not-related-to-pistonrobot/forest-church/
I “ripped apart” the church so I could get the drawing file below the Warehouse limit of 50 mb, I sent that to my gallery on the Warehouse, I named my gallery Pistonrobot.
I did some renderings out of it via KeyShot, here’s some of the old blocks that I’m putting in the wall.

You can save a lot of space by downsampling the textures before using them in SketchUp . You can still keep the original file outside of SketchUp, and at a later point load that file into SketchUp if you want higher resolution for e.g. a rendering.

1 Like

Julie. Thanks. I will need to go to Google and look up down sampling a texture. I did not know that adding a texture would increase the byte count for the drawing by a significant amount. I did not even consider this. I guess I could edit the paint for the blocks and remove the texture and replace it with a simple color and then save the drawing and see how much smaller it is. I thought it was a large byte count because each block is hand created. The church’s walls are not a block texture painted onto a flat plane. Instead each wall is a collection of individual blocks. And there’s individual collections of concrete in between each block. I thought it all just looked more real that way. I put imported photo images in the drawing so I could try to keep the church as a proper copy of the real church. If you get a chance go to my website and download the 80mb version of the church. This version has those photo imports in it. I still remain confused as to why these photo imports balloon up the byte count. But it sure is nice to have them in the drawing because as one alters their view of the church the photo images also track along because they’re inside the drawing. Thanks for your interest. I still have to add the red door. And the final steeple end has a rose window. I am very nervous to see if I can figure out how to create that rose window. :slight_smile:

I believe if you have Use maximum texture size enabled, the max texture size will be 2048x2048 pixels. If it is disabled, the max texture size is 1024x1024. If your texture image is larger than that, SketchUp still displays it at that size but the full size image is stored. You take the hit in file size bloat without the benefit of the higher res image.

You can keep performance up by disabling Use maximum texture size while you are working and turn it on for image exports. You could also keep performance up by not displaying textures at all while you are modeling. Work in Monochrome face style so you can keep an eye on face orientation and fix reversed faces as you go.

As Christina suggests, if you are rendering your model later, most rendering programs will allow you to replace one texture image with another so you could save the higher res images for rendering.

Thank you Dave. I will have to look at this. the real church is very old. it is hard (at least for me) to get stone blocks that look old. again from the pictures of the church the stone also has a faint yellowish tint . I went to sketchucation and uploaded a set of “old brick” textures. these textures have the cement lines in them. the only way I could get these cement lines not to show on my blocks was to expand the texture sufficiently that one could position the texture on each block so that the cement lines were not being loaded onto any visible area of the block. So my textures are like 3 feet by 5 feet and I colorized them with a faint yellow. I don’t remember seeing how to set texture sizes via pixels. I’ve been doing sketchup since 2013 so I’m a novice. I have 40 gigabytes of various sketchup drawings that I created. I find from the workings of my mind that I simply remain confused if I try to draw with objects that don’t look like what I’m trying to draw. I want my drawings to be focused more on being visually beautiful instead of architecturally proper. I can’t get myself to “see” what my drawing will look like if I can’t see for real on the screen what it looks like. I solved this by just going to Dell and getting their precision line one down from the top. Their top precision was $10,000. I couldn’t do that price . anyway I think my drawings are pretty or at least fun and i wanted to show them to other sketchup folks but that 50mb limit stops me. I thought perhaps to convert them to auto desk maya. Yikes. One of my drawings became 1 gigabyte in maya. I put that on my website and people keep downloading that maya file (a surprise to me). Anyway i thought the church was pretty to look at but I had to “chop” it to get it to the warehouse. pg

1 Like

I did look at the materials, and generally they are a reasonable size, and also deleting all of them from the model didn’t bring it down to 50 MB. One odd thing about the textures is that they seem to be 8 bit, even though they are JPEG. They look like index color images. You may be able to replace them with normal 24 bit JPEGs and have them look better and take less space.

Most of the space is taken up in the bricks I think. One brick may have say 1400 edges in it, probably because it’s modeled to be bumpy. You could get similar results using a texture that looked bumpy, and reduce the number of edges to a small fraction of what they are using now. When I can find my Skimp license I can try running that on the model, see what it can come down to without looking any different.

1 Like

Thanks Colin. The original textures were zip from Sketchucation and inside each zips is a png. I opened that png and saved it as an image and then used that image as a texture. I actually tried to open that png in my image editor and using the mask tool, remove all the brick lines and then recreate the png as those image pixels with no brick lines. It sort of worked, but I don’t totally understand textures. The only issue I have with textures that make the blocks look bumpy is that if one adjusts the angle of view, the bumpiness may not properly alter its presentation of the bumps. It was just a sort of a challenge to me to see if I had the patience to make all those blocks. Actually I just didn’t have the time and have done some edit-copy-paste in place work with some of the blocks. I render with KeyShot. The most interesting thing I found (inside KeyShot) was that one can move the texture around so that the brick lines are not showing on the blocks and the texture gives a good look to the blocks. But whatever defect or irregularity is offered in the texture to give an old or weathered look, well that irregularity is repeated in each block. The only way out is to individually add the texture to each block, then move the registration points so that the brick lines do not show, then try to move the registration lines a little more so the imperfections of one block are not the exact duplicate of the imperfections in the next block. Sigh. Now I’m back to individually hand-drawing each block. I have the Skatter extension that can take a group like a clump of grass and scatter it randomly through a plane or texture. I wrote to them to create an extension that I named “Skatter plane” and what this would do is scatter irregularities of the shape of the plane throughout the plane. I also wanted what I called “Skatter edge” and this would scatter irregularities down an edge of a plane. One would be able to adjust the density of the effect and the magnitude of the imperfections added. They did not want to create that extension. I feel it may be more difficult to create than it is for me to describe it. But, wow, wouldn’t that be nice to be able to make objects have that old and weathered and randomly textured look where their surface really is textured and its not just an overlaid image effect. pg