Follow Me Tool - trying to fillet and edge of an object with rounded corners

hi Guys,
Trying to create a rounded edge around an object that has 4 rounded corners. Not having any success even though i watched help video on the follow me tool.

Not sure what im doing wrong. Is it possible to fillet the ege all the way around a square that already has rounded corners?

Since we don’t know exactly what you’re doing, we can’t say what you’re doing wrong. Share the model as you’ve got it so we can see what is happening.

The fillet radius has to be smaller than the rounded corners it has to pass. For equal radii you will have to construct the corner parts separately by slicing a sphere, or use Fredo’s RoundCorner plugin (free download from SketchUcation).

Another thing is your model size. If the arc segments involved are very small (about less than 1 mm) the faces might not get created. In this case scaling your model up ( by 10 or 100, for instance) before performing the operation usually helps. You can scale it back down afterwards.

Just suggestions

Anssi

AJE Kobo Back Case.skp (1.2 MB)
how do insert images into this forum so people can see my model?
Edit…ah I found the spot to do it…here tis

I am wanting to round off the underside with a 2mm radius all the way around so the object doesn’t have sharp edges.

(note…when I load this file the object is already upside down…so underside is up.)

I took a look at the file. The best method would be to use the Round Corners Ruby script to round off the edges as you require, but you’ll need to do all kinds of tidying up first. That bottom perimeter is pretty messy. There are a number of unnecessary segment lines (personally, I think you have way too many segments in the corners)…and the interior corners have the arcs overlapping the original outline at either end instead of being tangential, producing nasty little stubs.
I couldn’t get the plugin to even look at a 2mm offset. It seems quite happy with a 1mm offset though.

You can do it with the Follow Me tool without any trouble if you first cleanup the edges. Then draw the part you want to cut away, not the shape you of the final radius.

I did that and put it inside the perimeter.

After running Follow Me on that, I wound up with the radiused edges.

Due to the relatively small size of the radius, I worked at a larger scale. I used my standard procedure of making a component of the original, making a copy and scaling up the copy to work on. When finished, I closed the large instance of the component and deleted it leaving the original all ready for the next step.

Nice guys.
I havent used sketchup much before…although i use blender a bit.

What has caused the mess with external corners and internal fillets you guys refer to? I created them using arcs with snap function turned on.

Should i have used a different method?

The snap will give you the end points of the arc…equidistant from the corner. What you need to make sure of, is to then make the final click to set the arc when it turns magenta and says Tangent to Edge.
It looks like you’ve pushed it a little far towards the corner so that the arc actually takes a little bite out of the casing before then crossing to the outside of the edge.
Follow Me, or the plugin I mentioned don’t like any irregularities in the path.

Here is Round Corners in action. You can see that it could have been used to do both the base and the sides in a single operation…which probably would have avoided the messy bits.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3LBWfLNopE

thanks for that.
also, when I import the object into blender it seems like the scale is different to what past images have been when I imported them (this one seems incredibly small).

Is anyone able to import the above image I posted earlier into blender and see what they notice about size?

Dave,
I have made the new profile as you suggested and put it on the inside. However, I am having problems. How do I cleanup the edges so that your method works?

The main thing is to get rid of the unneeded edges.

Ah ok. Done that now.

I have create a cylinder in order to provide screw holes in the corners. I thought the easiest way to replicate one and copy and paste it would be to “make component”. However, i cannot seem to get the pasted copy of the component to center at the center of the circle. It keeps defaulting to an edge.

Is it possible to set this to center of circle? If so how?

Post your latest version of the SKP file.

Man this tool has got me stumped…i simply cannot get it too work correctly.
I cannot get

Here is my latest model update.AJE Kobo Back Case.skp (1.2 MB)
the program to select the path around the edge…and when i face select and apply the profile it does strange things.

Can someone post a step by step procedure on how to do this. It doesnt seem to work the same as the video with this model.

Do i need to manually create a path for the “follow me” tool?

The problem is that SU was designed for quick prototyping on an architectural scale, not for producing extremely detailed models on a very small scale. I tried running the profile around the base but the corners simply refuse to work. This is because the result is way below SU’s level of tolerance. If you do exactly the same thing but with the model scaled up 100x then there’s no problem.
If you are going to work on stuff this small, then you are simply going to have to use cms instead of mms at the very least…as a matter of course…then scale down when done.

1. Make sure the profile is aligned with the “top” edge, then move it somewhere down the side of the casing. Then ( selecting it by the end point that will eventually make contact with the side wall) move it inside the casing until that point is constrained by the face itself.

You already have a path…the outline of the base. It’s just that it’s an absolute ■■■■■ to select with all those separate segments around the curves. The quickest way of selecting it is to double-click the base so that both it and its outline are selected, then while holding down Shift, deselect the face itself…leaving just the outline. You’ll also need to deselect the edge of that hole you’ve drilled in it.

When you are left with just the outline selected, then orbit inside the casing so that you can see the profile you buried in there…then click it with the Follow Me tool. This should do what you want. (it did for me…when scaled up). But you’ll then have to delete both the original sharp edge all around…as well as the unrequired 2 flat faces of the extrusion. You’ll destroy the bottom face when doing this, but it can be easily re-established when you’ve finished all the cleaning up.

The Round Corners plugin I mentioned earlier would have required little to no tidying up. Alternately, running that profile on top of the existing surface (by anticipating that and making the sides consequently shallower to allow for the addition) would have required much less tidying up too. Using Follow me actually inside an existing surface like this really isn’t a very efficient method.

Selecting the edges for the Follow Me path is easy if you just double click on the bottom face. You’ll need to deselect the edge of the hole over on the left. Hold shift to deselect it.

I used TIG’s TIG-Weld plugin to weld those edges after I selected them which makes it easy to select the entire perimeter. And no, you do not need to manually create a follow Me path. You already have it.

As Alan said, you should be working at a larger scale. My preferred method is to get the model started at normal size and make it a component. then make a copy of the component and scale that copy up by a factor of 100 or 1000 to work on it. When I’m finished, I delete the large copy of the component and return to the correctly sized instance.

I note you managed to create a hole component that cuts an opening in the bottom face of the case. That’s good however you’ll need to explode those components so that hole actually exists and to cut the hole on the opposite side. Hole-cutting components can only cut one face.

From the way some of the geometry is created, it seems like your approach is a bit scattered. This results in a number of problems such as internal faces and other excess geometry. I think a different approach to the whole thing would make it easier.

Writing out step-by-step directions for drawing this would be a very long process. Perhaps it would be easier to show you how to do it. We could work that out.

Hi guys here is my new tutorial on how to design a simple easy phone
i am stating this here because i ma using the follow me tool in this video
so check that out

I stopped after 10 seconds. Why? The Muzak!

Don’t pollute my environment with unnecessary sound. Want to say something that isn’t clear from the video? Record a soundtrack with narration. Otherwise, keep in silent.

1 Like

i just put a music because i dont want the views to be detracted from the computer due to surrounding elements and music always isolated the concentration and if you think this specific music is irritating and if i get similar comment from other viewers too then i will change the track

So stop choosing my distractions! If I want silence, I’ll already have silence and won’t appreciate your choice of music. If I want music, I’ll already be playing it in the background of whatever I’m doing - and it will be MY choice of music. And if - as is usually the case with me - my preferred background is playing one of the 50+ podcasts I subscribe to, I’m going to be angry at ANY content free audio source that I have to take the time to squelch.

If, however, your audio contributes materially to your content, I’m happy to pause my podcast.

1 Like