Follow me tool issue

I’m trying to make a 3d model of headphone hook for a project. First I sketched out the line using various 2 point arcs. This gave me a basic shape for the hook. I then drew a circle one end of the line and then a smaller circle inside for the headphone cable. I then made a slot to insert the cable. I then used the follow me tool to drag the flat end of the object around the curve.

The problem is that the inner circle was not connected all the way along the curve and in some spots there were gaps in the outer edge. also there the cylandar was hollow and not filled. How do I get the follow me tool to create this as a solid extrusion? I’m planning to 3d print this when I get the model done.

using the move tool I’m noticing that I can change move the edges to close up the gaps. This is good, but how do I make the hook solid?

Sounds to me as if you are creating very small geometry. There are several methods to deal with that. Either work at a larger scale or using the Dave Method.

Sharing your .skp file can be helpful in getting your questions sorted.

What version of SketchUp are you actually using. There is no version 2000 as your profile indicates.

Sounds like you are expecting something that doesn’t happen in SU.
Sketchup models are made of edges and faces with nothing inside. To make a solid you need to enclose a volume not make a solid blob. The different colours of the faces help with this, the white faces are the front and the blue/gray are the back. So a 3d printable cube would be made of six faces all with the white facing out. If you look at it with a section plane or hide a face it will be like trump, empty inside.

3 Likes

I’m actually using 2020 version.

Regarding solid shape… when I draw a rectangle, I can then use the push/pull tool to get the 3rd dimension and I see a solid 3d rectangle. When I used the follow me tool to follow the path, it left the end open so i can see inside the shape. I know that I can use the circle tool to draw the end, but I shouldn’t have to. Right?

I’m including the skp file for your review.hook.skp (813.7 KB)

I just tried the circle tool to get an end cap, but the circle is not on the same plane as the open end of the shape and I can’t figure out how to line it up.

Your model confirms what I guessed. You are working with small geometry. You need to work at a larger size. I don’t really understand what it is you are attempting to model but based on what you uploaded, I think it’s something like this.

I drew a circle with a hole in it perpendicular to the end of the path.

Then I made a component of the circle and the path and used the Dave Method which I linked to last night.

@DaveR was correct: you are working with stuff that is too small for SketchUp to create without issues. After applying the method he recommended, I got the version on the right below, which needed a few issues fixed by solid inspector 2, but is now SketchUp solid.

As a separate issue, why are you drawing such a small thing so far from the model origin?

1 Like

Thanks for showing me that what I’m trying to do is doable. The reason it’s so small is that the piece I’m modeling is less than 3 inches top to bottom. I will try making it bigger and then scaling it to size afterwards. I just want it to 3D print the correct size. I will go back and learn the Dave method. I will also learn to the solid inspector 2. Any chance you could send me the file you made the screenshot of? It will be useful for me in my learning. I’m only about a week into this and someone is bugging me to learn and get him something in a file that can be 3d printed. I did start the tutorial videos and made the playground with little issue.

As was mentioned, a SketchUp model can contain very small objects. The issue arises while initially drawing or editing them because SketchUp has a built-in tolerance check to avoid precision issues from computer arithmetic. Drawing large and then scaling down avoids the issue.

hook.skp (1.6 MB)

On the 3D printing side of things, applications like Cura of Meshmixer have abilities that SketchUp doesn’t have. You could build the model at a large size, then use those programs to get the right size, add supports, and make it be hollow with sufficiently thick walls. No need to model those things in SketchUp.

I have played with my object using the Dave method and it works well. Both ends were added and it looks solid. I even figured out how to smooth the edges.

I showed my friend and he asked: 1. Can you taper the ends? 2. Can you make it less thick?

1. I found a video that showed how to make a cone from a cylinder using the scale tool. This would work for me if I could get the tool to scale more than just the end. I’m thinking the whole straight bottom should taper to the end.

2. As for the thickness, I’m at a loss. My thought was to redraw the circles and follow the line. I hate to remove so much of my work in order to go back to what seems like almost the beginning because my object is too thick. I thought about the push/pull tool on the outer surface, but it won’t work on curved or smoothed surfaces. My object is of course both. Is there any way to avoid cutting away the cylinder and starting over?

I’ve been tearing my hair out for days trying to get the follow-me tool to work with a tutorial series I’m taking.I just found this discussion with the Dave method link, and it worked like a charm. I will be emailing the instructor to tell him about it. In the meantime, many thanks, DaveR @anon77361920 Sage !!!

2 Likes