Making solids with follow me

Hello I am new to sketchup and I would like to know if it is possible making solid objects while using the follow me tool, when i use the follow me tool around a path with a circle for example, it creates and circular tube but it’s hollow. Is there any way to make it solid?
it is to 3D print

SketchUp is a surface modeler. It has no such thing as what other modeler a call a “solid”. However, SketchUp has the concept of a surface that encloses a volume without holes or extraneous faces or edges. If you make a group or component of such geometry, SketchUp calls it a solid and when you export as stl most 3D printers recognize it as such.

1 Like

thanks for responding
but are you saying it will not print hollow as long as I close the shape and group it?

The 3D printer software will let you choose a “fill factor” when you load the stl model. This is the way all 3D printers work because the material is expensive and fill greatly affects print time.

1 Like

I am new to SketchUp as well. You would think it would be in Sketchup’s interest to have a little documentation available.The videos are fine for a start but you quickly run into having questions that aren’t answered. When you look in the community, everyone seems to be very far advanced and can’t really understand or answer a beginners question…

I was having trouble doing a design when first opening the program. The tools worked fine but I also wanted a solid object but when I tried to take away parts of the drawing it left big holes that I couldn’t figure out how to cover or fill in. I found the best thing for me was to make a block as big as the overall size of the piece I wanted and then make that block a component. The I could shape and prune on it as much as I wanted and still have a “solid” object

It’s not that we can’t answer a beginner’s question. Generally when there is a problem getting the question answered, it’s because the person with the question hasn’t asked it clearly and has provided no examples in the form of screen shots or even SketchUp files. Answers come quickly and accurately when we aren’t made to guess at what is really going on.

Pruning from a larger block is one way to work and it is appropriate in some cases. Sometimes it makes more sense to add geometry instead of pruning. If you were to share an example file, there are many of us who would be delighted to help you out.

Thank you Dave.
I wasn’t attacking the experts in any way. I do appreciate that people will help but what I mean is there is no documentation from Sketchup that I can see… on the basics of how to get going. Just watching the videos will help you build a table but i want to do other things with the program.
Say for instance I have a cube. I want the cube to be solid and i want to drill a hole from one side through to the other so you can see through the hole.
Thats a pretty basic operation, but try to find anything anywhere that tells you how to do that. I spent 2 hours trying different things and looking through the community forums without success to try to get that accomplished.
As I said, I am a rank beginner. I want to support the companies whose time is invested into building these products, however the chances of me spending $700 on a program that is frustrating because of the lack of instruction documentation is zero. Even if it is free what good is it if you can’t get going on it. I’m fixing to delete the program and try out one of competitors. Maybe one of them will have better instructions on getting started.
I guess if they just want experienced CAD operators for customers then that’s their business model. But i bet there is lots of guys like me that move on to something else and our money gets spent elsewhere.
This is a hobby for me. I want to design things that i can’t get and print them out on a 3d printer and I’m going to do that with or without Sketchup.