Follow Me does not produce a solid

I am using Follow Me to make a handle out of a bar. The actual operation to manufacture will be to cut a straight bar, 0.5" diameter, and bend it 90 deg in two places to make a handle that can be welded to tube. I drew a line with 5 segments to make the path to follow,(straight, 90 deg bend, straight, 90 deg bend, straight), then a 0.5" diameter circle with a center at the end point of the first line. I selected the Follow Me tool, selected the circle and then followed the path I just drew. It created the bar as expected but when I group the result it does not show as a solid. I have tried it just using one segment, making a straight bar, and it still does not result in a group that is a solid. Any help is appreciated.

Some possibilities

• the size of your object. The followme operation might produce so short segments that SketchUp won’t fil the result with a face, leaving empty holes in your model. You might try scaling the whole thing up by 10 x before performing the FollowMe, and then scaling it back down when finished.
  • if the bends are filleted with a too small radius, the resulting geometry might be slightly distorted, with small protruding faces intersecting
  • or, when you select the objects for grouping, you are including extraneous objects (the FollowMe path, for instance).

Just suggestions

Anssi

1 Like

It was extraneous objects in the group, as you suggested the FollowMe path. I moved the entity away from the path, grouped it, and it showed up as a solid. Thank you.