Finish this House Challenge!

Is there a requirement that humans must be able to inhabit it? For example, floors must be able to support a human. Must there must be a place to prepare food, bathrooms, etc.? In other words, is it actually a “House” or a shape that is “house-like”, but not from our world, dimension, physics, etc.?

I posted in the entry thread but my reply was detected as spam, assume its cause I posted before completing account set-up. Didnt want to post again in case of a duplicate

Got it fixed!

1 Like

Great question mmarcovitch! Strictly speaking you don’t need to make it a house. If you want to make an office or a community center or even an art installation (like Meow Wolf) you are welcome to do so. With that in mind, you don’t need to be able to live there but people do need to be able to navigate it. If you want to create something for a species other than humans (maybe a hobbit or goblin or some kind of alien) that is fine too.

As for structural concerns, like ensuring a floor is strong enough to support people, you can use any material you want, including fictional super materials so feel free to get creative. The whole goal here is to make something that not only showcases your skills with SketchUp but showcases your unique and special style.

Just don’t change the initial walls as you are getting your creative process going.

There’s some Z-fighting going on between the floor and terrain. How can we fix the issue without being disqualified?

Great question LeoVlad! The terrain is just there to help people on the web version who are not able to use the Sandbox tools to create a grid to work with. You can do whatever you want with the terrain and that includes erasing the terrain you don’t want, moving the terrain up or down or doing anything else you might want to do.

2 Likes

Hi guys,

I am ready to upload and post but I ran into a big problem: the size limit at the 3DW is 50Mb but my model has 150Mb (I tend to model in minute detail).

What should I do? Reducing the model’s size will never reach the limit.

Alas! That is a part of the requirement! Time to start paring down the model and swap smaller entourage in! Having the model able to upload to 3DWH was an intentional requirement partially because it would set a limit on the size of the models!

You can do it Edson!!

OK. I will do that for the upload but will take the images from my big model.

I am too used to designing in 3D in a way that all that goes in the building goes into the model: this way I can extract construction drawings from them.

TheOnlyAaron, I only just now learned about this, it is May 1st, it looks like I already missed one model review, can I still get in on the contest? Is recreating the original model allowed? I think I will leave the original geometry untouched as its own component and then design to it, so I maintain a reference to ensure I don’t accidentally change anything.
Thanks, Skeeter

I have uploaded my model but I do not know how to link it to the other topic. Can one extract an URL from the 3DW?

Edit: I found it. Sorry!

No need to worry- rules aren’t too important :slight_smile:

I got an extra room by building up to a cave. I also similarly pushed the stairway landing outside the structure using a setback in the rock wall to encompass the opening. and added a glass block feature to cap the intrusion the stairway makes into the first floor roof for headroom. Will these touches also be allowed?

I am treating the full cave as outdoor space and am not sure how or if I will finish off the cave, it is a matter of how much more time I can spend on this model.

Note that I added a flat sheet with water texture to the stairwell rock wall, the creek that drains it passes under the house and is revealed through a series of grates in the floor, with glass panels so you don’t lose small things you might chance to drop.

Question: are you guys going to comment on the entries? There should be an "official"response to them, don’t you think?

Yep! We are going through all of the entires every Friday during out Live Stream!

The part over the stair is technically roof, and the rock would be the lot, the one thing I can see that might be an issue is the small stack of glass block I used to fill the gap to the rock on one side of the stairwell. If that is pushing the rules, I can just fill in with the rock, I’d like to know ahead of time so I have a chance to fix that if necessary. It could stand some more furniture, like dressers and I’d like to find a royalty free picture of a waterfall to paste onto my rockface so it looks nice, but I think I’m going to call it done and work on some nice views and what not. Edit, I tried removing this and reposting it as a comment under my first post asking if I was within the rules on a couple of choices. It ended up back down here by itself anyhow, ahh, I see, it is under my original post AND down here, curious)

Here is My House

1 Like

If you have already submitted your idea for the ‘Finish this House Contest’ and looking for a new challenge, look no more! Help us find creative ways to safe-proof our workplace by submitting ideas to our COVID-19 Workplace Re-Design Challenge by 2020-05-13T15:00:00Z.

1 Like

I was laughing yesterday in the kitchen when I discovered this. (any familiar shape you recon?) :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Is this challenge still ongoing?