Find reasons for "Not solid"

Another newbie Q :slight_smile:
I’ve built a model Solid Inspector2 plugin is happy about (everything is shiny it says.
However, if I y to run “outer shell” is says that my model is not solid. I searched the google and found some info that an “outliner” should be helpful, but I can;t find that “outliner” under windows (I am using sketchup make 2017).

So, the Q is simple, how do I find whatever prevents my model from being considered “solid”? Sketchup must know what those failures are - after all it does report it’s not solid.

I sure hope it’s there’s something smarter than “just check your every line and face and look for holes” :slight_smile:

How about uploading your SKP file so we have some hope of helping you get it sorted.

Maybe it’s something simple like you haven’t made a group or component of the geometry.

I can attach the model, but it kinda misses the point. I do not need the solution - I want to know who do I find those problems. With what tools do I search for them. There must be a smart way. I mean, suppose I would put here a model, it has 600+ faces, you wouldn’t be zooming on each of them, looking for the hole between 2 faces, right? You would probably do something smart to find where and why it’s not “solid”.

If you have a model that isn’t reporting as solid, being able to see it would make it possible to tell you why. I’ve already given you one reason why Solid Inspector would report everything shiny without there being a solid in the model. There are a huge number of smart ways to identify problems. Exactly which ones to use depend on the model.

One of the best tools is Experience.

How many computer programs do you know of % 100 correct. I know of none, there are always quirks in all and experience will teach you what to watch for. You cannot fix if you do not know the issues so suggest you let DAVE help.
You want some help, Dave has requested data to help you but you think you know better. The outliner is a tree type list of componets and groups in the model. Its native to su , a search will show info on it. It will show in one of the info trays and you may not have it activated.

All right :slight_smile:

Component_1.skp (99.9 KB)
Here’s the skp, please understand that my first priority is the “how do I find the problem” and not “you have problem here and here” or “here’s a fixed design”.

Thanks a lot.

The reason it isn’t solid is that you haven’t bothered to make it a group or component. (Funny, that was my guess way back in my first post. All you need to do is select the geometry and make it a group or a component.

How do you find the problem? Well, I found it by clicking on a face with the Select tool and noticing only that face was highlighted. Had it been a group or component, there’d have been a large blue bounding box around it.

So I guess the how do you find it comes down to experience. Learn to use the program correctly and gain some experience as Box suggested…

In order for a component to be considered solid it must contain only faces and edges. No other components or groups inside the container. And all edges must be shared by exactly two faces. No more and no less. This means you can’t have any internal faces and it can’t have any holes. You can see internal faces if they exist using X-ray face style. And you can see holes if they exist by the presence of of heavy profile edges where they shouldn’t be and potentially by the appearance of reversed faces.

In addition, all faces need to be oriented correctly. All white faces out. The blue back faces must be on the inside. Face orientation isn’t an issue in this model but it’s not an uncommon problem for new users to have.

It isn’t clear from your model. Is the 3D text supposed to be part of the model or is it just there as a label?

Doesn’t work :frowning:
Marked the whole thing, rightclick -> make component. Now upon click on anything a whole component is marked with blue box.
Still, no volume information is shown, and an attempt to do “outer shell” produces the same result as before: “blah blah blah, not solid…”

I do not see anything out of the ordinary in X-Ray view and I do not see any thick bold lines that should mark edge with “not 2 faces” attached.

Attached is the file with 2 copies of the model, one as component, the other as group. None of them are detected as solid by my sketchup :unamused:

PS, yeah, the writing on top should be part of the model -> printed.Component_1.skp (171.2 KB)

It will work if you do it correctly. Apparently you missed this: [quote=“DaveR, post:8, topic:39784”]
In order for a component to be considered solid it must contain only faces and edges. No other components or groups inside the container. The Outliner clearly illustrates this.
[/quote]

You have a component inside the group container along with the primitive geometry.

Outer Shell works on two solid groups or components, You don’t have have that situation.

If you explode the 3D Text component inside the group and clean up the interior faces, it’ll show as solid as in my example.

Exploded the test in both cases. Lined the “missing” faces. Still not solid.
I am trying to do it right, but something is missing and I do not see what.

Component_1.skp (275.1 KB)

If you run Solid Inspector, you will see that there are internal faces (back side of the letters).

Either manually remove then, or let SI fix them, and you are good to print.

Note… The small edges will most likely not be an issue… But for future reference, you don’t need to make edges so small for a print (i.e. You can create arcs with fewer sides, and it will print just the same).

Got it! Yessss, finally. It’s solid! Thank you all.

PS @TheOnlyAaron, when I run SI I do not get these nice colored markers - how do you get those? They can be useful for me to learn, not only to fix (which is done automatically).

@igal I believe that is a function in the most recent version (you should be able to update through EWH). Another nice option is to press the tab key, as that will zoom in and circle the issues, one at a time. A great feature!

You must use SolidInspector2 not SolidInspector to get the marks.

Hi,

Perhaps check this out, would be good to see happen in future with your issue in mind I reckon - read the first but then skip to the last couple of posts though, it was a lot of ironing out the creases and going round the houses to eventually iterate it without a response still illustrating a lack of comprehension.

Spread the word if it helps :slight_smile:

How can I to find Volume of solid?

Drag the bottom of the Entity Info box down until you can see Volume.

As native tools, maybe section plane tool could help, also hidding some external faces to look what there is inside could be also useful, then you can unhide > all.