Solid Inspector shows good but it is not solid

Hi forum,

I have spent a couple hours to figure out what is going on with this model. Hopefully, someone can help me out. It was a model I imported from STL file. No matter how I do it, I just cannot make it solid. The Solid Inspector, however, showed it solid. I am using Sketchup 2017.

test.skp (277.2 KB)

I didn’t see what was preventing it from being solid. SketchUp doesn’t identify it as solid although Solid Inspector 2 does although Solid Inspector 2 is good, it isn’t infallible. I exploded the group and remade it. Then SketchUp reported it as solid.

That is curious. I think @thomthom might want to look at the model, to see why solid inspector sees it as good, and yet SketchUp doesn’t show a volume.

I also noticed in the original model, while editing the group, it couldn’t be closed by clicking outside the group box. Only right click > close group would work.

Delete double-face

Using the older Solid Inspector (not SI2) shows a problem in a rounded corner, here:

With Xray view turned on, there appears to be a tiny face missing.

[EDIT]
Not missing, but duplicated (see @mihai.s post above). Double face shows whiter in Xray mode.
[/EDIT]
Redrawing one edge of the hole appears to fix it and SU reports it then as a solid group.

It’s possible that exploding and remaking the group ‘heals’ the hole.

Thanks everyone for the fast response. I learned something from each of you. I confirm that exploding, then regrouping solved the problem.

One of my most often used plugins is Fixit 101 it can be useful for so many things.
Fixit 101

2 Likes

Thanks. Just installed Fixit 101.