Microscopic error preventing solid - help needed!

Hi,

I am using Solid Inspector to help me create a solid for a volume calculation on some landscape. However, I’m down to the last 3 surface borders and 1 internal face edge and I cannot for the life of me see them. The previous one I found was minute. This one/these must be microscopic - I have set the style to Xray and turned off all edges, etc in the hope that it would be easier to see the little red highlight from solid inspector, but it just isn’t visible.

Is there some other way to find this last error/last few errors?

Here is a link to the model: Dropbox - File Deleted

Many thanks in advance.

Jay

Tap tab.

Amazing! Thanks.

I tried looking for extra options on the solid inspector within Sketchup. I guess I could have checked the plugin page to see if there was such a feature. Easy to say in hindsight!

Thanks.

Most tools show their modifiers in the bottom task bar when active.

Many thanks.

However, now I have another problem, which I believe has been posted before, but none of the solutions seems to apply.

The problem is that Solid Inspector reports no errors, but the group is still not showing as a solid - no volume.

Any help appreciated. The file is here: Dropbox - File Deleted

Thanks.

Here was problem, probably caused by inaccuracy.

I suggest you to work with solids in new empty file.

solid.skp (5.0 MB)

First, you need to read up on the use of layers.

Get in the habit of purging your models.
I removed about 30meg from yours, and considering I’m on a metered connection that is a significant amount I don’t need to be downloading.
Purged

Your shape is rather complex in such a way that it is made up of multiple faces a edges. It’s rather a mess.
But many cleanup extensions will sort it out for you.
Thomthoms Cleanup would probably work for you.
I used Fixit 101 and got all these bits fixed up.
Fix%20it
So a good clean and purge and you should be good to go.

1 Like

Thanks so much Box and Roju.

I did know about drawing only on layer 0, however I think I have forgotten and let things slide a bit.

The clean up tool looks good. Some of that mess comes from lines which were draped on the original landscape model in order to create areas for different textures. I know this is probably not best practice, but it would seem like a pretty huge task to try to texture everything without creating this geometry. And that aside, of course it is good as you say to remove them from this solid which is purely a volume exercise. I used to use softimage and found the texturing there gives a lot more control. Perhaps there are deeper levels to texturing in Sketchup.

Thanks again.

Hi again Roju,

Just wanted to ask how you found that problem?

Thanks.