Feedback: Why don't the training videos match the product's menus?

Hello

Here is some feedback for Sketchup

I am new. I am using “Sketchup Make v16.0.19912 64 bit”. I was irritated to discover that the 2 column menu in the videos on the left of the screen did not exist! WTF?

Worse, there is no explanation of how to get the two columns. Don’t worry I worked it out
(View ==> Toolbars ==> Large Toolset) but why be is Sketchup being so unhelpful?

Not a good start! [grrr]

P.S. Also - why are the videos on the sketchup.com website not full sized? We have to got to youtube.com to see them at full size.

PPS. Also why has the Line tool moved?

What 2 column menu are you talking about? [quote=“ship69, post:1, topic:18533”]
Worse, there is no explanation of how to get the two columns. Don’t worry I worked it out (View ==> Toolbars ==> Large Toolset) but why be is Sketchup being so unhelpful?
[/quote]

It’s a good idea to look in the Help files. SketchUp isn’t being unhelpful.

Huh? What do you mean?

Re the 2 column menu.

This was deeply irritating because I spend quite a while checking to see if I had installed the wrong software.

Re line tool
it’s only a small point. The line tool hasnt moved far. But it IS in a different location. Presumably this means that the software in the video is in fact a different version.

You’re right. The videos are from a previous version. It’s not that big of a deal. Certainly nothing to get so angry about.

1 Like

that’s the mac version of SU…

john

Emotions aren’t the issue. I may be wasting my time who knows, but in fact I’m trying to help improve Sketchup.

Why on earth have they used a different location in the Mac version?

I think the bigger issue is the change in version. Some new tools were introduced (rotated rectangle and different arc tools) between the version that that video was recorded in and the version you are running. Some buttons moved around when new buttons were added.

As nice as it would be to re-record every video every time a new version is released, it’s just not feasible. Thusly, there are, on occasion, some differences in the UI.

Aaron - Ah-ha - good to hear Sketchup staff are listening.

Please tell your senior management that this is SERIOUS mistake. Over time, I for one could easily be seduced step by step into buying the full product, but not if you think your time is more valuable than mine. My time is pretty quickly worth way more than money the subscription fees for a year. Don’t waste it or I shall never forgive you.

I think you need to get fully set up to quickly and easily re-shoot your videos with every major release of software. How hard can it be? It need not be overly slick just up-to-date.

PS Ah - finally we are told how to open the complete tool set at 3:30 into “Getting Started with SketchUp - Part 2” - a bit late, no?

This must be the 2016 version as my 2015 has them on the top bar area . .

Yes, I am using the 2016 version.