Extensions that cut sections like Scalp

I would like to evaluate section cutting extensions that work similar to Scalp. What are your favorites?

I love all the options that Extensions bring, but it is hard to know what is out there and what works best and what is recommended for architects. Is there a bundled package of extensions or a “play list” of highly recommended extensions?

I don’t know that there are any that make cut sections like Skalp. I realize that is the opposite of answering your question, but that is my understanding.

From a technical standpoint, Skalp creates a shape based on the section cut and fills it with your pattern of choice, and then places the face of that shape a millimeter or so back from the section cut so that it shows up. It’s pretty impressive, to be honest. Then it associates that with a particular scene, and only shows that geometry when that scene is selected. Plus it allows you to fill with your selection of patterns, and even allows you to create them. So as far as I know, it’s unparalleled.

That out of the way, check a few of these out for comparison:
[Super Section][1] - I used it before Skalp was released. Works well without layout.
[SectionCutFace][2] - never used it, but has some similarity with the others
[Solid Section for SketchUp][3] - from dibac

Last but not least, [CONDOC tools][4], which is a different take on section cuts for construction documents, but well worth a look. The level of organization and efficiency I find pretty incredible. It’s the one I might have used if I was doing more architecture and less manufacturing.

Those are my thoughts, but what are you trying to use this for? Pro or hobby? Houses or Skyscrapers, etc.?
[1]: Extension | SketchUp Extension Warehouse
[2]: SketchUp Plugins | PluginStore | SketchUcation
[3]: http://www.dibac.com/shop/solid-section/
[4]: http://www.condoctools.com

1 Like

I saw a demo of one a few months ago, but I cannot remember what it was called. I will check out the ones mentioned above to see if one of them was it.

I can see how ConDoc and Scalp can work together, maybe.

I could be wrong, someone correct me please, but I think that ConDoc tools creates its hatch marks at the back/bottom of the cuts, and Skalp does it at the front/top, so if you used them both, you would only see the hatch marks from Skalp, but it’s been a while since the basecamp, and I only use Skalp.

That being said, the rest of the abilities of ConDoc, as far as the organization of layers and scenes and groups…lets just say I’m still trying to wrap my brain around it, because it was genius, and I don’t think you could go wrong with it.

Krisidious created an extensive list “SketchUp Plugins for Architecture” here:
http://sketchucation.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=323&t=59471

Thank you Cotty, this is nice! One extra step that would be nicer is a user evaluation and comments section on each plug-in as Amazon has. This would greatly help us newer people make informed choices. I think Sketchup would be a much stronger contender in the CAD/BIM world if there was a little more unity. However, it is ironic that it is this diversity that also gives SU its strength.

The Extension that is like Skalp IS Skalp.

There are several other tools - like my own ‘free’ SectionCutFace [ SketchUp Plugins | PluginStore | SketchUcation ] with a lot of users - but which do little in comparison to Skalp…
That might be all that you want, but if you want what Skalp offers, then even I recommend that you get Skalp.

2 Likes

Awesome resource, thanks for that!