Extensions not working

I have a wish that the client-side of the Extensions Manager would detect this and display a helpful message box to the user, so they do not waste the time that this user had to waste trying unsuccessful tasks.

2 Likes

I tested the signing out to see generic icons, and that is true. Do you know why his extension list is the file names, and not the extension title? For me, even signed out with WiFi turned off, I still get the correct names.

Only scenario I’d expect to see that is for unsigned extensions when Secure policy is enabled. But the screenshot shows the extensions as signed. So that’s just weird. Even more so if there’s no loading errors to accompany that.

I agree. It looks to me as if the lack of getting an icon from the EW cloud, is causing the short circuit during the extension registration, and so the extension’s loader file is silently not evaluated.

Makes me wonder what the return value of Sketchup::register_extension() is ?

I have just had the following response from SketchUp support:
“We believe that there could be an extension that you’ve downloaded that could be causing the rest of the extensions to fail. There’s a few things that we can test as as we start re-downloading and installing the extensions again.” They have suggested renaming the Plugins folder to force SU to re-download the extensions again. As they are now functioning, I am loathed to do this.

My test of renaming the support folder would have taken care of the rename Plugins suggestion. Also, I set up the same extensions as you had, and I didn’t have the problem.

So, no need to do their test. You could reply to let them know of the way you worked around the problem.

Oh dear - hold back on the bunting and champaign. If I close SU and open it again, the extensions are back to a non-working state. I wonder why the link between SU and the Plugins folder breaks? I have replied to the SU Technical person and provided this information to them.

There is no dependency on this. The fetching of the EW icon is done async after all extensions are registered.

Well something is not working to properly load extensions on this M1 MacOS system.
Even if a signed extension is switched off, it’s icon should still load.

At one time there were strange issues if a case sensitive file system was used on the Mac.

I am running Big Sur but not on M1 so this might not apply, but worth checking. Under System Preferences > Security and Privacy > Privacy > Files and Folders or Full Disk Access, does SketchUp have disk access to the system or have full disk access? There is an initial dialogue asking if this should be granted during the first installation, and without permission to write to areas of the HD SketchUp can behave oddly in some respects. A thought.

Are you actually running macOS Monterey? Your forum profile says Big Sur, and I didn’t think that supported M1. If you are really on Monterey please update your profile. It probably doesn’t affect this question, but could be important for getting correct answers in general.

I haven’t seen any reported for a while, but it is possible this is still a problem. It requires the user to make a conscious, non-default choice while formatting the disk though. Mostly done by UNIX admins who think it will improve compatibility with other systems.

SU had access to files and folders. I have tried giving SU full disk access and there’s no change to the extensions issue.

Yes, I am using Monterey. I have updated my profile.

I am being asked by SU Support to delete my 2022 version and all of its associated files and reinstall the programme. I’ve not started this process yet.

Well, I have been in contact with a very helpful support person at SU. They went through a number of attempts in getting extensions working including removing Clean My Mac, switching off Bitdefender, re-stalling SU 2022 and nothing seemed to work. However, their advice to create a new user account and install SU 2022 under that user seems to point to a corrupted user account as extensions are working perfectly under the new user and remain non-functioning under the original user account. All this seems really odd to me as I haven’t experienced any issues with any other applications, yet SU has clearly been unhappy working in my original user account. So, I now have to make the decision whether I transfer files etc to the new user account, which I would rather not do. Perhaps I could use the new user account just for SU.

The corrupt user account has happened on Windows platform in the past. Haven’t heard of it in a few years though.

Re: Moving document files could be moved into a Public folder and after switching user, moved to the new user account.

1 Like