Exporting Layout to CAD - Best Practices

Hi!

I’m certain this is a user error issue, so I’m coming to the hive to determine what the best steps are to convert a Layout file to a CAD file, and figure out what I’m doing wrong.

I am trying to export a DWG file out of Layout. My settings are screenshot here for reference. The issue I keep running into is that the paper space is not what is exported. No text, fills, or lines are added. It appears I only am able to export viewports. Can someone tell me what I’m doing wrong, and how to make sure that what is in paper space, goes out in DWG?

i exported with all your setting with no problem, are you doing proprietary work?

Can you post a screenshot of what it looks like in LayOut and then what it looks like in CAD so we know what’s different/missing? Or post the LayOut file if you can for further review.

I don’t know what that means? All I know is that when I exported with the shown settings, all I end up with is viewports. No fills, lines or text come in.

I’m sorry, I don’t have time for that at this point. I have found a work around and will continue with that. My company is transitioning off of Sketchup in the next year, and with the new issues I’ve found in LO2020.2, I’ve lost too much time on deadlines for paying clients to keep trying. My work-around works for now.

For anyone that finds this and is wondering the work-around:

1. uncheck “Export as Native DWG/DXF Entities”
  2. check “Export for Sketchup”

This is the only way in LO 2020.1 and 2020.2 to get a DWG out of Layout with all of the info you’ve layered on. That is if you can get LO2020.2 to open as others are beginning to find issues with getting files to open.

If you can’t get the files to open in LO2020.2 and can’t handle the terrible lagging in 20.1, go back to 2019. Maybe in 2022 they’ll get things solved.

With your settings, paper space goes into DWG paper space tabs.

This takes your “paper space” objects and moves them into the Model space in the AutoCad file

You should read the AutoCad documentation to make sure you have understood correctly the paper and model space concepts. Note too that some non-Autodesk CAD applications ignore the paper space objects completely.

1 Like

Yes, I know they move “paper space” objects into “model space” in AutoCAD. That’s exactly what we need it to do so that our partners can use our drawings with all of the necessary info correctly. It’s not useful to them to get SU viewports and no additional information.

The idea is to be able to produce architectural drawings that can then be shared and modified by engineers and others in AutoCAD. The entire reason I asked about this was that we were running into complaints that the CAD files we had sent didn’t contain enough information for partners to work with them. That’s why we needed all of the LO information to be brought into the CAD file. There’s not much of a point in exporting to CAD from LO if it’s not going to bring all of the information over with it.

1 Like

Your first settings certainly don’t leave any information out. What they do is take your SketchUp model viewports and put the contents of them into the model space in the DWG. Then they take the viewports and annotations you have placed on your LayOut pages and put them onto paper space layout tabs in the DWG file. It is just that the people you are communicating with are stuck in working methods from the 1980s and early 1990s when AutoCad still had only “model space”. The settings in your second post are not a workaround, they are there just to help you deal with this kind of people.
Note that in your second settings, your SketchUp viewports are not exported to full scale but reduced.

Wow, I find that very confusing!
I am here for the exact same reason. The consultant only gets the viewport form LO export.

I’ll follow what siobhan indicates as a workaround.

Is there any way, short of purchasing Autocad, to view the export and know you have the right information?

If you just need to view, you can download and install the free DWG TrueView application from Autodesk. It is like full AutoCad without any editing tools. It can also convert files between different older DWG and DXF file versions.
Many users of the exported DWGs do need all the information to be in model space. I have lobbied for a scale factor setting in the “export for SketchUp” option to allow the exported file to be to full scale instead of to paper scale, but to date unsuccesfully.

If you have SketchUp Pro, I think you can use Trimble Connect to share and view DWG files (not just SU files). @MikeWayzovski is more familiar with the workings of TC