Exporting as .dwg Error Message

When I try to write the sketchup file as .dwg I get the following pop-up. “An error has occurred while attempting to write this file. Please make sure this file is not open in another application.” I don’t believe it’s possible for this file to be open in another program. I’ve turned off thumbnail in explorer and renamed thumbsup.dll to thumbsup.old. I’d appreciate your advice. Thanks! Also, I just purchased this product after the 30-day free trial. The export feature worked fine in the trial, now the first time I try to export as .dwg after buying this product (the reason why I bought the product) it is not letting be do it. Thanks again.

Seems to be resolved. I followed instruction on “Contact Form: Pro Technical Support” to clear IE cache and run SU as admin and was able to export as .dwg. Thanks!

I’m having the same problem. Where is “Contact Form: Pro Technical Support”.

Thanks, Jeff

main menu: Help->Contact us

In SU
go to Help/Knowledge Center
Under Fix an Issue go to Contact Us
Under Technical Support go to "Contact Pro Technical Support"
In the grayed area at the top of the page is the information I followed that worked for me.

I find I need to “Run as Administrator” every time I use SU in order to export. Haven’t spent the time to figure out a permanent fix to that…good luck. Darryl

Hi Darryl,

I’m on a Mac. I tried disk utility… then uninstalled and reinstalled. Don’t know
if I did everything correctly, but same error message. I’m sorry to trouble with
this. I wish They had phone support and someone could step me through this.
My fabricator is waiting to do CAD drawings from my design and I’m looking
like a real dufuss. It should just work.
I emailed tech support but I think they’ll have me take the same
cryptic steps. Could you call me if you’re not too busy? 573-210-6793 in Florida. -Jeff

I’m on a Mac. I tried disk utility… then uninstalled and reinstalled. Don’t know
if I did everything correctly, but same error message. I’m sorry to trouble with
this. I wish They had phone support and someone could step me through this.
My fabricator is waiting to do CAD drawings from my design and I’m looking
like a real dufuss. It should just work.
I emailed tech support but I think they’ll have me take the same
cryptic steps. Could you call me if you’re not too busy? 573-210-6793 in Florida. -Jeff

Make sure you’re writing to a directory that you have write permissions to. You may want to run (if you’re not on El Capitan, because it’s removed there) Disk Utility’s Repair Permissions action, and see if that helps. Try different directories.

Hi Barry, Thanks for your reply. Wish I knew what all that means. I’m just a
lowly freelance designer. “Try different directories”? I guess you don’t do
phone calls?

I think I have an idea for some local help. Too bad it will co$t me when
it should just work.

Save the export to your Desktop [i.e. a safe User Folder/Directory]…

If you try to save to a usb drive etc… it can have ‘Permission’ issues, and fail to run…

move it after it’s created…

Sorry, can’t do a phone call…

When you do File->Export->3DModel you get a dialog that will let you select where you save the exported file. Choose somewhere such as Desktop that you are guaranteed to have permission to save file on (unless something is seriously messed up on your Mac!).

John beat me to it!