Error when Importing dwg

I am trying to import a 3d autocad file that seems fine when I open it in ACAD. It was exported into autocad from a different drawing program but when I import into sketchup it simply doesn’t show up. I’ve never had this issue before. Thought someone might be able to help.
thanks!

Please clarify what you mean by “simply doesn’t show up”. Do you mean that the import seems to run without error, but there is nothing visible in the view?

If so, you may be victim of one or more of the very common problems when importing dwg files.

First, if you didn’t specify the units to match the file, SketchUp may have mis-scaled your model. It might be either too large or too small to see. Try zoom-extents and see whether anything shows up. You could also try ctrl-A to select everything. If you can find the geometry, you can use the scale tool or tape measure to restore it to the right scale.

Second, ACAD is notorious for putting the origin far distant from the model contents. If you didn’t uncheck “preserve model origin” during import, you may find that your contents are somewhere far removed from the view. Again, if you can find the contents by the previous, group them and move them to the model origin by activating the move tool and typing [0,0,0] into the VCB (note: some locales may require [0;0;0]. Also, the [] are part of what you must type.

Third, the previous two issues can combine to induce “clipping plane” issues in which OpenGL chops some or all of your model in the view. If you can get the contents to the right scale and located at the origin, the clipping plane problems will usually go away - though sometimes SketchUp seems to “get stuck” with a plane and the only answer is to save the model, close SketchUp, and restart it.

Is your import unit set to the right value?
Does the import status window say anything about entities ignored?
SketchUp cannot import all AutoCad objects. things like

• xrefs
  • custom objects (like AutoCad Architecture walls)
  • proxies (entities from missing applications)
  • 3D solids or surfaces generated from splines
    do not import. Special objects should be converted to standard objects in the application that made them. Surfaces or splined solids should be converted to meshes.

Can you post a DWG that you cannot import?

Anssi