Eric's Gallery of Random Musings

Very cool! Love the thought process.

2 Likes

4 Likes

Lol, I have been toying a little bit with him too recently, though not near as drastically.

Minimized (not my gallery)

Screenshot_20230119-224739

Did you just cut his arms off and draw new ones?

1 Like

Yes @LinearGraphs - I re-drew and grouped his arms and head separately so they can be copied, adjusted, hidden or shown and saved to a scene. I may do a ‘Skill Builder’ soon showing the process as there are some interesting tips or lessons I learned from the process :wink:

3 Likes

So I was trying to make a ball of light with beams shooting out from it…so I used Skatter to distribute V-Ray spot lights…but they were facing inward to the sphere to I scaled/inverted them to point out…But I made a change to the Skatter setup, regenerating the spots lights…thus flipping the lights back around to pointing inward. After shooting off a test render I thought the result of the lights facing each other with Environmental Fog turned on…resulted in a pretty cool blob-like shape.

10 Likes

Mildly threatening. Probably poisonous. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The bouba-kiki effect at play.

1 Like

So yesterday as I wound down my work day, I finally attempted to create my own ‘stylized’ model using @indie3d’s method he shared here (#creditwhereitsdue) - SketchUp Quad Modeling Gallery by Rafael Rivera
May-09-2023 09-40-04

I took it one step further by making the head a ‘FaceMe’ component so that when I orbit around, the ‘duck’ looks like it follows me. Fun process that I hope to actually use in a project or animation someday.

Here’s the geometry that’s being hidden just for fun/reference:

8 Likes

The duck is very cute and I like the effect of the outline. There are a lot of possibilities for expanding this outline method. For example, I have seen a png textured image used to simulate pencil texture.

You can see many 3d artists using 3d geometry to create an outline effect if you browse the SketchFab website. Anyways, thanks for sharing your work and for mentioning me!

1 Like

It’s been awhile since I’ve posted anything. It’s also been awhile since I rendered anything in V-Ray. I miss V-Ray. Love it and like everything in life, need to carve out time to go deeper into the many nuanced settings and tools.

The opposite of advanced settings is to see how fast I can get a cool or compelling looking image straight from a blank file.

In about 10 mins, I made this shot:

Here’s all I did…Looks complicated but really minimal setup…

Model:

• Downloaded and added woman from Cosmos
  • Added Dome Light from Lights Toolbar
  • Downloaded HDRI Sunset from Cosmos and pasted into Dome Light to replace the default HDRI
  • Added Infinite Plane via Objects Toolbar
  • Downloaded Waves material from Cosmos and applied to Infinite Plane
  • Added Sphere light via Lights Toolbar - set to ‘Invisible’ and to not show in water reflection

Render Settings:

• Set camera to Portrait
  • Added Vignette effect within camera settings
  • Added Light Mix render channel (to allow for light adjustments post-render)

Frame Buffer Settings:

• Added ‘Fimic Tonemap’ correction layer
  • Enabled ‘Lens Effects’ for camera glare/softness
  • Changed the Sphere light color and intensity in the Light Mix layer

3 Likes