EP Fasteners & Threaded Holes Works Intermittently

EP Fasteners & Threaded Holes is a very useful tool … when it works !

Some times after you get through the dialog boxes and the “Wait” box comes up, the extension appears to go off into the ether. Some times it works, but most time it does not.

The author has not replied to any comments. Is there anything I can check ?

Did you contact directly - or via the Extension Warehouse comments? The Extension Warehouse comments might not be checked regular by the developers - so try to look for a directly contact.

No direct email address.

Thanks ! email sent.

There are multiple “puts” statements in the script, obviously for debugging. How do I run an extension from the Ruby Console window ?

just open Ruby Console before using the Plugin and any puts should show…
john

Well I think I “found” the problem !

setStatus(‘Creating a SAE BOLT’);

continue BOLT in SAE

Error: # < NoMethodError: undefined method `’ for nil:NilClass>

C:/Users/Jack/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp
2015/SketchUp/Plugins/EP_Fasteners/EPBolt.rb:135:in `performOK’

C:/Users/Jack/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/EP_Fasteners/EPBolt.rb:79:in block in InitializeDialog' SketchUp:1:in call’

FIXED !!

One of the data storage “arrays” (for lack of the proper Ruby term) used “1” instead of “1.0” as the “index”. Not exactly obvious, but I found it.

Not bad for a guy who had never seen a line of Ruby 24 hours ago !

1 Like

To save me the next 23 hours and 55 minutes - how did you get to this code to make the change? And is it indeed still working OK?

The “code” is in C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\SketchUp\SketchUp 2015\SketchUp\Plugins\EP_Fasteners

I have been in touch with the author. There is a slightly newer version but it is not posted here.

1 Like

Thanks, though I can’t spot where you’re describing “1” vs “1.0” being used in that code, so as to even give editing it a shot.

If there’s a newer version elsewhere, could you please provide a link?

–Dave

Line 229 in EPFastenerConstants.rb

The author sent it to me directly and I’m not going to redistribute it.

Hi guys, I’m using Sketchup Pro 2017 and I installed EP Fasteners plugin through Extension Warehouse.
I try to follow video about using of EP plugin:

• selecting “metrics”
  • selecting “threaded” hole
    and EP menu closes.

Here my ruby log:
SketchUp:1:in call' setMeasurementType('METRIC'); setStatus('Creating a METRIC TAPPEDHOLE'); continue TAPPEDHOLE in METRIC Error: #<ArgumentError: Cannot convert "0.0" to Length> C:/Users/Michele/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2017/SketchUp/Plugins/EP_Fasteners/EPTappedHole.rb:26:in to_l’
C:/Users/Michele/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2017/SketchUp/Plugins/EP_Fasteners/EPTappedHole.rb:26:in create' C:/Users/Michele/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2017/SketchUp/Plugins/EP_Fasteners/EPFastenersMenu.rb:37:in continue’
C:/Users/Michele/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2017/SketchUp/Plugins/EP_Fasteners/EPFastenersMenu.rb:54:in block in InitializeDialog' C:/Users/Michele/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2017/SketchUp/Plugins/EP_Fasteners/EPFastenersMenu.rb:88:in call’
C:/Users/Michele/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2017/SketchUp/Plugins/EP_Fasteners/EPFastenersMenu.rb:88:in execute_script' C:/Users/Michele/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2017/SketchUp/Plugins/EP_Fasteners/EPFastenersMenu.rb:88:in performOK’
C:/Users/Michele/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2017/SketchUp/Plugins/EP_Fasteners/EPFastenersMenu.rb:52:in block in InitializeDialog' SketchUp:1:in call’
setMeasurementType(‘METRIC’);

I haven’t found EP_Fasteners file on my Sketchup folder…

You might have seen that the Extension Warehouse page for this extension shows its compatibility.

I expect the author needs to update the extension to meet the newer Ruby standards. You should probably contact him and see if he plans an update it.