Empty Canvas on SU Pro 2018 following activation

I have SketchUp Pro 2018. I recently moved my second license to a new computer which had been running SU Pro 2018 as a trial for the last month. The trial was working perfectly but, following the activation, SketchUp lost functionality.

Everything opens up fine, but the canvas is empty. No axis. No lines when drawn. Nothing. We’ve tried changing templates without any success.

Of course, I do not have Pro support (come on SketchUp. Really?) Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, we uninstalled and reinstalled the program without any change in functionality.

Thanks,
Chris

What does that mean?

By that, I mean I did not pay for ongoing support from SketchUp, as I found the pricing outrageous.

I’m just a little surprised that something so basic could cease to function on SketchUp and the only way I could find to get help was by turning to the community forum, rather than being able to contact tech support through SketchUp. In order to renew my tech support, I will have to pay an additional $180 on top of the already expensive license for SketchUp Pro.

Did you do this when logged on as an ordinary user, right-click the installer and choose “Run as Administrator”? Any other method, including being logged on as the Administrator, can lead to strange errors.

What do you mean with moved?
The correct way to activate a license is by adding a license through the Welcome screen, not by moving (lic) files around

By moved, I mean I removed the license from my laptop at home and added to the new computer. I did all of this through the SketchUp interface, not by shuffling files around.

1 Like

That is great! (I have seen some strange methods, though :smiley:)
What are the specs of the new machine? Processor, graphic card?
If it has a dedicated graphic card, make sure it is being used by SketchUp

Did you do this when logged on as an ordinary user, right-click the installer and choose “Run as Administrator”? Any other method, including being logged on as the Administrator, can lead to strange errors.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the program using the “Run as Administrator” method both times without any success.

The graphics card is an Intel UHD 630. Process or is an i5-8400. Computer is running Windows 10.

Like I said, it was working perfectly fine during the trial, but now is not.

The only thing that shows up on the screen is right and left select boxes (a solid box and a dashed box). This stays on the screen after releasing the left mouse button, and remains there after clicking and dragging again.

No other items display – no lines, no rectangles, etc. All other aspects of the interface work fine. I can select all the buttons, click all the menus, etc.

One thing I noticed when uninstalling and reinstalling is that the license was intact on the reinstall, which means that a portion of the application must not have been removed. Is there a folder or file that I need to remove manually to ensure a clean reinstall?

From the various benchmark sites, this is a rather low performing graphics card. Intel graphics cards and drivers are well known to be lacking in adequate OpenGL support and aren’t recommended for SketchUp. The addition of the license is probably a red herring. I would look to see if there’s been a recent Windows update that updated the graphics drivers. There have been many reports of Windows updates including bad graphics driver files which cause problems. Perhaps rolling the drivers back to a previous version will fix things. Or try going directly to the Intel site to see if you can download and install updated drivers directly.

In Sketchup Preferences>OpenGL
Toggle the “Use Fast feedback”

Well, that fixed it. Thanks!

1 Like

Since turning off Fast Feedback fixed it, that clearly points to a change in the graphics drivers from before when it did work. Watch out for future Windows updates. It’s likely that the drivers will change again and you may be back to where you were.

1 Like