DXF export logic

Can someone explain to me the rationale behind creating a DXF file based off of the camera’s perspective of a drawing instead of the true absolute dimensions of the drawing? Is there some case in which someone would want to see a perspective drawing?

Exporting to 2D is generally for exporting what you see. You may have found the perfect view, and you want to include that as vectors in a page layout program for example. The layout program may not know how to deal with 3D coordinates, but could import the 2D DXF values.

If you want to export a DXF and have its dimension be correct, export it as 3D. You also then get the side benefit that the export will give true curves for arcs and circles. You would want to turn off the Faces option, to avoid getting line segments on top of the curves.

3 Likes

I have several times exported a perspective view as a line drawing for illustration purposes.

Why would you like to remove the feature of exporting DWG/DXF out of a perspective view? You can always use Parallel Projection or a 3D export to get a full scale DWG.

I’m glad I posted. It was mostly out of frustration. I had a two dimensional drawing that I made and when I exported it I chose the 2D option since it was a 2D drawing and because I was under the impression that DWG files only contained data for 2D (maybe this is dated since I haven’t done something like this in 20 years). I had no idea that you could export a 3D DWG file. It turns out that the camera was just slightly off from perpendicular to the drawing making it look like it should, but once the part was made, it was apparent that it was wrong. Now several thousand dollars later, I tracked down the issue. It never occurred to me that exporting it the way I had would not simply yield my actual drawing, but instead take my 2D drawing and show it from the 3D perspective of the camera.

Thank you for alerting me that I can export the whole drawing this way.