.dwg imports with diagonal lines everywhere

Greetings all,
I’ve had similar problems in the past, but today I imported a .dwg from the kitchen designer, hoping to save myself a little time. She can only export in .dwg, not .skp unfortunately. You can see that what I get is riddled with diagonal lines everywhere. I dove into this upper cabinet, and everything in it is in the same tag, so I can’t single them out that way. Displaying by axis, everything but the diagonals is on their RGB axis, but I don’t know of a way to do a custom selection to get rid of the diagonals. Opened the same file in DWG TrueView, and it displays the same way. Any ideas of how to avoid importing them, or to get rid of them?
Thanks

Looks like maybe the file has been exported or shared as an .STL format at some point, which is a triangulated format. Can you share the .SKP file here so we can take a look? If you erase a diagonal line does the whole face disappear or do the two adjacent faces merge? You may be able to use Clean Up 3 to merge coplanar faces. Post the .skp file for a better diagnosis.

1 Like

In the import configure settings there is a merge coplanar faces option. That should remove some of the extra lines.

Kitchen dwg import.skp (5.0 MB)
Here you go! Thanks for your reply. As I was typing this, I got the reply from Colin, and that was the magic I needed. I had looked before for import options, but the button doesn’t appear until you click on the file name. Now it’s perfect!

FWIW I ran CleanUp 3 on your file.
Screenshot - 9_9_2021 , 8_49_01 PM

Kitchen dwg import.skp (3.4 MB)

Thank you sir! Sounds like a very useful plug-in to have, for those pesky imported .dwg’s.