Duplicating Components ... Copies and Arrays

I’ll be honest, I’ve been searching for about an hour and I think I’m just not using the right terms.

Anyway, I’m trying to get better with SketchUp, as I have been doing more woodworking/carpentry projects and it’s the easiest way i’ve found to get accurate cut measurements.

I have 3, 4x4 posts, and I want to run stringers between them, and then run a vertical between the stringers that will go in between the posts. I want to be able to quickly duplicate that effort, without having do it manually each time.

I started out with a 2x4 shaped rectangle on the face of the post, and then push/pulled it to the other post, but from there I only know how to manually repeat that process over and over, and I want to try to speed up a little bit to end up with this:

Then, I try to copy or duplicate with all sorts of mixed results, like missing faces,etc.

What i’m trying to accomplish is similar to 0:55 in this video: SketchUp for Woodworkers - Is It Worth Learning? - YouTube

How is he selecting that “board” as a whole component? Is it editing trickery? Because the only way I’ve been able to get close is pan/rotate the camera and individually select each edge/face.

Thanks, and sorry if this is a duplicate. I really have been searching for a long time.

You need to make each board a component. Then use the move command along with the control key to copy the original and move it to where you want it. Spend some time at Learing Center Work through the Sketchup Fundamentals. Good stuff

1 Like

Ugh, I feel like an idiot. I’m just going to obsessively make everything a group and a component now. I had watched some of those videos a long time ago, but clearly had forgotten the recommendations on grouping and components

Thank you! You just saved me a load of duplicated effort.

The term you’re missing is ‘array

See these SketchUp training videos:

Components

Copies and Arrays