Drastic slowdown with SketchupPro 2019

Real time. No cutting out the middle or any video trickery.

Some plugin, perhaps? Do you have Outliner open? Or the components window? Typically, changing DC attributes results in an addition of a new component definition with its own thumbnail etc.

so it’s something to do with my setup then? Obviously it has something to do with 2019 and my system, because it works like yours on 2018.

Hey thanks for the response, I have been using these components and they have worked fine in much more complex models with 2018. Since switching to 2019 I have noticed it being slow, sometimes unworkable. I thought perhaps it was the way I was using DCs and spent many hours trying to find a problem there, I still haven’t. Today I tried opening the same file on both versions of Sketchup on my machine and it only gets stuck in 2019, the exact same file. So what has changed? I copied everything to a new file and it improved the hang time in 2019 to about 20 sec. If I place a single component in a file it performs fine. Regardless, why does it work so well in 2018, and not in 2019?

Hey NP. It was the switching versions to an older one you did. That got me to try the same thing and realize its not my DCs. Wasted a lot of time there, thanks!

is it plugged in and running on the Radeon card?

power saving often flips to the Intel card…

both cards are small for a model with such big textures…

try this version where I reduced 3MB of textures and unused materials…

I also moved it to origin as that was affecting my iMac [8GB nvidia]…

lighter.skp (11.7 MB)

john

1 Like

I think it is. As John suggested, it could be the graphics card. Also as he suggested, neither of them are especially good for 3D modeling. The graphics card in this computer is an old, not particularly excellent one by today’s standards but it is an Nvidia GPU. Nvidia has always had a good track record when it comes to OpenGL support. Intel and Radeon not so much.

He brings up another good point. Why is your model over 290 feet from the origin?

1 Like

Hey and thanks for the help. Model is out in space because I pasted in place from the original file, moved that part to a new file to reduce the size for upload and to see if it would speed things up any. It did a bit. I just don’t understand why it works as intended with no lag at all when I use sketchup 2018 (same machine and setup with 0 problems) and not in sketchup 2019. Are we saying that to run 2019 effectively I need to get a new computer? This one got me through architectural school fine. Sketchup 2017 & 2018, autocad and revit. Still runs autocad and sketchup 2018 fine (I dropped revit), but not sketchup 2019? I just don’t get it. Navigating the model and modifying the geometry using 2019 is fine on my machine, it all works except updating the DCs attributes, where it just hangs there. I think I am just going to go back to 2018 for now and hope this gets fixed in future updates. It is not just this file either it is an ongoing problem that I didn’t have before 2019…

Hey guys, I found the longer you use Sketchup 19 the more it slows, a quick workaround was to close and open a model, that is of course after you have all tried the options above and they did not work.

Question for the Sketchup team: I assume lag is being caused by accumulating temporary files in Sketchup, those temporary files are most likely necessary and are probably used for communication between SketchUp and Dialogs and the undo strings?

In the new version of PlusSpec I added a “Purge Temporary files” option that I have been testing and it does seem to work, if it works okay with our beta testers it will be public. image

1 Like

Is the SU 2019 installation in some way tangled up with iDrive?

1 Like

Now that is an interesting proposition. My desktop and all SKP files are backed up to iCloud, and my internet connection is spotty and slow often. Of course, I can’t replicate the behaviour at this exact moment which is also frustrating but lends credit to the idea of it being related to my connection and iCloud somehow. I will move the file to a drive that is not synched next this occurs and see if it has any effect. Thank you!

Are you saving the SKP files directly to iCloud? Or opening them from there? There have been numerous reports of issues related to on files saved in cloud locations because of long access times. Slow downs are common and sometimes users have reported files getting corrupted by the transfer process. Best practice seems to be saving locally on an internal drive and only syncing out to the cloud.

1 Like

My desktop, where I store all my work stuff is synched. Constantly updates changes, but I open them from the desktop.

I had the same problem on the first file I used in SU 2019. Small file, very basic. I tried to persevere but got frustrated and gave up. I am now back to SU2018 which runs fine apart from the missing images problem which prompted me to upgraded in the first place. I am worried now that I will have to subscribe to their new pricing structure once SU2018 becomes too old to handle new CAD files. Very worrying. We should not have to jump through a thousand hoops to make a new version work properly.

1 Like

So I just confirmed it is not cloud related. It happened again so I moved the file to an un-synced folder, rebooted, cleared the PRAM and turned WiFi off, it had no effect on the behaviour which is the same as before. Hangs for 1+ min with 2019 when I try to change an attribute of a dynamic component. If I save as a 2018 file and open it in 2018 there is absolutely no problem, it functions as it should. So what got broken in the 2019 update and can it be fixed? I can’t reasonably use 2019 like this, frequent updates were a feature of the subscription pitch, so fix it please?

Ryan,

Thank you for your persistence on this. I don’t have much time to mess with it, so am just suspending my SKP work for now. I work via Dropbox, and of course immediately
tried w/ local files, with no effect. I’m on an Educator’s license via Trimble, and suspect that is part of the problem, although it runs fine on the same license with a new laptop.

-Peter

1 Like

Maybe we can get them to allow a roll-back subscription, so we are not forced into 2019.

2 Likes

If someone gets a subscription to 2019 but finds that a bug is requiring them to use 2018, we will provide a 2018 license for them for the duration of their subscription plan. I just did that for someone in this thread.
Thanks everyone for sharing and documenting the steps to reproduce this slow mac issue. We’re not yet sure why only some Macs are affected when the majority seem fine, so all the information and details you can share will help us solve this faster.

1 Like

The OP has a Windows machine. The “chimer in” Ryan has a Mac.

They both seemed to have been (originally) opening model files direct off cloud storage.
(I wonder if AutoSave is being triggered too often?)

Ryan sees his issues (on the Mac) with the DC extension and components.
Whereas the OP (on MS Windows) has a specific issue with slow saving to disk.

It may be that the two issues are actually unrelated ?

2 Likes

I’m not using a MAC. AMD Ryzen 5 1400 Quad-Core, 16gb RAM, 64 bit, Solid state drive, GeForce GTX 1060 windforce 6G, Windows 10, gaming computer. If that is not fast enough to handle the new Sketchup then It basically unusable for the general public.