Distortion of original model when attempting to use Fredoscale on a copy

Hi there! Somewhat new to SketchUp and definitely new to Fredoscale, however, I am attempting to create several copies of a 12’ x 20’ Pergola structure into subsequent sizes (14x20, 16x18, etc.), but whenever I make a copy of the 12 x 20 pergola and attempt to scale it using Fredoscale, any changes I make to the copy also distorts the original. Is there a way to change this so the scaling only affects the copy? I have played around with grouping and exploding and can’t seem to figure it out. Any help would be much appreciated :slight_smile:

The only accurate way is to post the model to the forum, otherwise, time is wasted trying to guess. Also, Fredo has threads on Sketchucation. There may be a clue in them.

Truly as RLGL says. It sounds like you are working on a component so the original instance WILL be affected by what you do to the other. I would only do an operation like that if all the elements, both the outside --overall and the beams and such inside are groups, not components.

Fredoscale distortion.skp (1.8 MB)
So the Pergola labelled “Original” is the initial 12x20 structure. I then selected it, pressed move and then ctrl to create the other copy. Then selected the ‘Box Stretching’ function with Fredoscale, pressed Tab and changed the 12’ to 14’, however, as the file shows it distorted the louver blades from my original one. I’m pretty sure it’s only groups and not a component, but could be mistaken!

Is there something else in your process? I’m not able to reproduce what you describe.

You are not mistaken about that. The only components in your model are the 3D text elements. Your model could be a whole lot more efficient if you were using components, though.

FWIW, I would advise you to make sure you are using tags correctly. ALL edges and faces should be created and remain untagged. Only groups and components should get tags. This is the result of fixing the incorrect tag usage.
Screenshot - 3_2_2022 , 1_10_04 PM

I went further in and exploding everything, and then remade it as a group and that seemed to fix it! That’s a great tip about the tags, I’ll keep that mind. Thanks everyone for your help!

Hmmm… I didn’t do any of that. I just opened your model and tried Box Scaling on the copy.

It would really be best IMO to keep your interior groups (each piece of lumber) a group and not have it all loose geometry.

I think it is often the case with Fredo Scaling that nested components are changed , and I have had unexpected results myself, thus I say just try it with groups until you get a feel for it. On the other hand my approach would prioritize ending up with components (all the rafters the same) and so I’d use a method that achieved that and probably not use FredoScale on the whole structure.

The other day In the middle-end of a project, all these cabinet doors were not quite right-- I just went ahead and used Fredo Box Stretching on a complex component (working inside the component) and it went well when I had time constraints–so there’s always the exception.