Hi all. I am working on an extension and wanted to get feedback if possible - mainly if this is something that could be of value to the community or it there are other, better workflows.
I love using sketchup to model and design and I usually use a Sketchup - Vray workflow, but I am finding I hit bottleknecks where sketchup isn’t designed for something or I have to add a new addon. Bevels are a common example.
I am working on a Live link between sketchup and Blender whereby I can model in sketchup and it will automatically link the model into Blender. I can then use blender to refine the model (texturing, modifiers, animation etc) and then choose what elements I want to be pushed back to my sketchup file.
An Example: I have a scene with a roof structure. I model the beam in Sketchup and it links to blender. In blender I can texture the object and apply an array modifier to the object as well as refine its geometry with bevels/something for the render. I then choose to link the array and texture back to sketchup but not the added geometry. In sketchup the array will show as a series of components.
I have attach a small video of my work in progress.
EDIT: someone pointed out to me that there was an extension named BlendUp several years ago. Will change the name in future updates.
It would be so useful to be able to add or refine details, unwrap, and create UV maps in Blender, and then automatically send the model to SketchUp.
There are already a few Blender extensions available, but they rely on sending the model to a server (Super3D conversion service) and then automatically importing an OBJ file from there (needs internet connection). To be avoided.
I had long hoped that the SketchUp team would create such a link via an extension like the one from Twinmotion.
On the Sketchup side, an object needs to be grouped or made a component before it links to blender - my thinking is that if you left the object loose it might create issues when edited in blender.
on the the blender side, you need to select what you want to be linked back (edited mesh, modifiers, textures) with checkboxes in the Object Properties Panel and click link. You don’t have to save to server or hard drive. The main reason I’ve done this is that I don’t want sketchup to automatically fill with dense geometry. I’m also considering having a Cap on how many faces an object can have in blender for it to send back or an “are you sure” checkbox. This way you can model a couch in Sketchup that fits perfect into the Sketchup - Layout workflow, and any over complicated edits in blender won’t break your Sketchup scene.
@mihai.s textures are definitely my next priority. I want to be able to texture in blender and then maybe only the UV and diffuse will be sent back to SketchUp. You’re more than welcome to make suggestions on how you might want to see this accomplished - thats the point of this thread.
It would also be useful to be able to automatically bake the base color (diffuse) upon export, although it is probably better to bake all the textures in Blender (either natively or, even better, using a good extension).
And it is best to avoid connecting to the internet—perhaps with the sole exception of the option to check for updates, and even then, only if you choose to do so. The Blender way.
Thanks for the feedback guys. only worked on a few things today. I managed to get the textures working in both: Sketchup to Blender and blender to Sketchup. The texture opens in Blender with mapping and co-ordinate nodes but is not unwrapped.
I configured the edge smoothness to be copied in both directions as shown in video.
I added a selection option in the modifiers tab so you can select what modifiers to transfer back to Sketchup