Delays in program file when navigating

Hello, Sorry to bother you again. Theres another problem with the model which is similar to the previous one. Alot of the items were reduced in the model in order to help the performance, but the response is worse but only for certain items. I also separated the files into subfiles (as recommended ) in order to reduce the file space. But now certain items in model is locking up the rest of the model file. The other problem is the model info dialogue box freezes when trying to delete unused items after pressing the purge button. It normally purges instantly, but in this case the model info dialogue box continues indefinitely which leads to a forced shut down from the program and reopening the file. I’ve repeated the process many times with no progress even after deleting other items in the model. I can upload an updated version of the file different from the first upload. thanks

No bother. How long did you let it run before force quitting? Sometimes purge takes a while if there is a lot to dump. Go ahead and upload the problematic file, I’m on my phone on a plane but I’ll look later or one of the many aces here will figure it out.

1 Like

Thanks, Sorry you were in travel. I can wait for later when you have free time. But I’ll upload the same file (the updated one) a little later today–no hurry !! And perhaps can be reviewed later at your convenience–or tomorrow is fine too.

Regarding the run time after pressing the “purge” button in the dialogue box in “Statistics” category, I waited about 5 minutes then gave up, assuming it was behaving the same way as in other instances (trying to delete items, navigate etc. )of stalling . In past experience of using the “purge” option in the Model info box, it has always been instaneuous. But its probably correct, that my model file has a lot of data causing this. Again, no hurry for the answer. I’ve also sent an email to the Sketchup Tech support team through the Trimble website portal and waiting on a reply as well. They are closed on weekends, but should probably receive a reply on Monday or Tuesday. I inquired to the Sketchup tech support team on the same issue I’ve mentioned here and another issue having to do with a “Licensing Error” message. This instance is more for them though. Thanks

The photostat with one of the items in the model which couldn’t be deleted for some reason was marked in green. And it can only be deleted in small amounts without the entire model freezing up. The other items will delete.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6t2l4qj5vonqowv/windows%20doors.skp?dl=0

Maybe try just purging the components first. Probably a little less taxing but could still take time. Purging components is usually the majority of file size excess.

I tried to delete the item circled in green which was challenging because you couldn’t just delete the entire group without it freezing the program, but had to delete it piecemeal, about 5% at a time taking about 30 minutes just remove these two walls. Seems very unusual… This was the unusual because the item took longer than the other items. I know purging takes a little longer when the file is larger than usual. But the one item marked in green was lighter than most. And the rest of the model didn’t contain much after reducing a lot as well.

I was referring to purging only components from inside the component tray. Select “in model”, select arrow on right, select “purge unused”.

Does your Windows and Doors model really need all that other stuff like the terrain and the roads image? The windows and doors are located nearly 2 miles from the origin which doesn’t help. You have some incorrect tag usage that could be fixed.

As @Sonder indicated, purging unused sstuff from your model would help, too. There’s plenty of unused stuff without even deleting the non-windows and doors objects.
Screenshot - 8_22_2022 , 12_09_01 PM
This purge reduced the file size by 58%.

I found components option by the draw down arrow, thanks. I think it solved the problem because the entire model seems to be working better.

photstat a

1 Like

Did you clean up the unneeded stuff in the file and fix the incorrect tag usage?

Yes, I’ve separated a lot of the items ( landscape work, legends–landmarks streets, neighborhoods and houses) into sub-files and sub-folders ) because I found no matter how strong computer one has even with a high CPU and large 3D Graphics Card, the high data contained within a single file of Sketchup makes it challenging for the computer to operate. And since then, I’ve broken up a lot the work into multiple files and folder. It just the recent ones with windows and door fixtures I didn’t think it would be so much burden. I have already used the delete option in the “Model Info” tab and another extension in the warehouse " Clean-up" Please see sample photo of the cleanup tool, I think this is appropriate for clearing out any excess unused data, Thanks !!

You forgot to tick the box for “Geometry to layer0”. That repairs your incorrect tag-use.

1 Like

thanks, I wasn’t familiar with the “Clean-up” tool since using it for a short time and have been using it generically assuming it would fix everything. I will check off the " Geometry to layer0 " and see if it improves and corrects the incorrect tags. Thanks again, Appreciated !!

1 Like

The results in the Clean-up tool. I think these are correct.

Maybe @DaveR can enlighten you (and me) about the validity check.
I don’t know about that…

sorry I’m not sure about the validity check. The file is working better now. thanks

The Validity Check looks at the geometry in the model. It looks for things like endpoints that are considered coincident and removes one. This accounts for the tiny missing face thing. There are other things involved in the check but it’s all working to make sure the geometry is stable and correct.

1 Like

Thanks, How would I find the Validity check option ? The “Not Responding” common error message I get a lot, due to heavy files. I use the “Purge” option in the Model info as well as the “Clean-up” tool extension. Between these tools and keeping the data lower, And I separate out large files into subfiles. And found that it helps but occassionally received the same delays, although the delays and not responding problem is less…

Window>Model Info>Statistics>Fix Problems will do the validity check without using CleanUp3.

“Not Responding” is not an error message. It’s an indication that SketchUp is busy doing something and won’t repsond to further poking from you until it is finished.

Keeping your files clean and light will help reduce the times that you see the Not Responding message. You should avoid creating files like the one you shared with all the unneeded stuff.

I am curious about why you have a file like this with all these doors and windows in it. What do you use it for?