Daylighting Visualization Not Rendering

I made a simple model to test out the daylighting visualization feature.

This is the model:

I believe I followed all of the steps on the Sefaira tutorial correctly, but when I use the daylighting feature, the visualization itself does not appear. As you can see, it’s just blank.

Any idea what I’m doing wrong?

For what it’s worth, the energy analysis function seems to be working, although it seems very expensive for a small structure with default settings.

I think I figured it out. I had geolocated the model initially, thinking that Sefaira would use that information from SketchUp to calculate location/orientation. Sefaira was interpreting the map geometry as a floor. I deleted it and now it seems to be working.

I’m updating the analysis now to see if that corrects the energy analysis as well

1 Like

Hi @tysongersh, you are right. The plugin and web analysis uses the location that you provide within the plugin and is not geolocated from the SketchUp geolocation feature. That is the reason why you see that Sefaira is pulling the terrain area and considering it a floor in the web interface with an area of 952 k sf.

One way to think about the Sefaira analysis is that when you tag a floor a floor is only if it is a part of the conditioned space. If it is not a part of the conditioned space then you would either tag it as a shading surface or ignore it in the plugin by selecting the surface >> right clicking on it >> navigate to Sefaira plugin >> and then doing a “tag surface as”. I hope this helps. Good to see that you are already getting the analysis going in Sefaira. We look forward to answering any questions that may come up as you move forward.

Right. The model automatically assessed the ground as being floor - it turned it green and I just thought it was simplifying it as grass or something. Was my fault though the tutorial clearly states that all visible geometry will be analysis. I should have just hidden it.

Couldn’t get the existing project file to update the energy analysis, but when I rue-loaded as a brand new project it seems to have corrected everything just fine : )

1 Like

@tysongersh You might have already corrected this but I do want to point out that when you did the daylight analysis, there seems to be a floor designation closer to the roof as well. That is why we see a complete yellow daylight surface close to the roof.

That might be the plenum space and therefore you will want to tag that particular surface as ‘shading’ or simply ‘ignore’ it, if you haven’t already done so.

1 Like

Yeah I did see that, I was just being lazy about it since I figured it could just as easily be a 2nd floor above this level that hadn’t been included in the model yet lol. I fixed it though.

1 Like

I am using Revit and I seem to be having the same issue. My energy analysis looks correct but when I run the daylighting analysis I get a blank screen as well.

I’ve tried classifying the views but I don’t know if I did it correctly since it is saying none are selected in the camera icon. @niraj.poudel Idk if you could possibly assist me? I see you’re highly knowledgeable on here and know the software very well!

@meganmendez, It looks as though that the daylight analysis is complete (as you can tell from the daylighting dial that the results have populated) but the model is quite far away from the project basepoint inside of Revit, where the Sefaira daylight analysis window zooms in on its first daylight analysis run.

You can either:

1. Change your project base point in Revit to one of the edges of your building (very similar to bringing your model closer to the origin in Sketchup)

2. Or pan inside of the daylight visualization window until your see your daylight heat maps.

@niraj.poudel So I moved the basepoint to a corner of my project (it was in fact a bit far) but there was still no change. I also tried to pan inside the daylight vis window and couldn’t find anything:(

Hi @meganmendez, could you please share your model here. Either via Trimble connect, dropbox, google drive or the likes. I can take a look and see what might be going on.

Before you share the model though, can I also ask if you re-ran the analysis after changing the project basepoint? That should have corrected the daylight heatmap placement.

@niraj.poudel Yes I changed the basepoint, ran the analysis, then re-panned in the sefaira window.
Id be more than happy to share the model via google drive, how do I go about doing that? Thank you for helping me by the way! This thing has given me a headache for the past week trying to figure out what I’m doing wrong :sweat_smile:

@meganmendez you can simply share the link here once you have uploaded the model to the drive and make it available for anyone with the link under the sharing settings on google drive.

@niraj.poudel https://drive.google.com/file/d/10Va1qqDceurVOHLSgFluEa_pLm6ne-8h/view?usp=sharing

@meganmendez Thanks for sharing that model. It looks as though that there is some other geometry in the model and therefore the daylight visualization is zooming out quite far to include both.

You can however either remove/hide the redundant geometry or zoom to your building in the Revit model >> click the “update camera” button in the daylighting window >> then pan inside of the window using your left mouse button and position the daylight visualization to fit your needs.

Hope this helps.