Dani’s SketchBook

Excellent! Did you draw everything with the iPad?

1 Like

I used the iPad. Some pieces are borrowed, such as the chimney (taken from my smithy model and modified), and the windows (which I pulled from my Smurf house), but yes, all on ipad.

1 Like

Very good job!

1 Like

From a thread back in January…

Here are the pilots…

Some very quick concept sketches

And the finished model. Let’s just assume that because it is a couple of chicken pirates who plant forests from their blimp, that I know I skimped on the practicality of the hardware :wink:

30 Likes

It reminds me a little of Studio Ghibli’s movie Castle in the Sky (1986).

3 Likes

Bravo ! :+1:

1 Like

@Danimaupin OH. MY. GAWD!!!
:heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:

1 Like

You are an artist! :smiley:

3 Likes

Mostly boring kitchens and bathrooms lately, however….

A jumping off point for a piece of stage scenery (‘personal wagon’) that I had some fun mocking up in SketchUp for iPad.

The next step is for the director to give me basic notes and then I will go and actually make it buildable.

14 Likes

Nobody does wheelbarrow units like you do wheelbarrow units.

5 Likes

Love the sketches. It makes me want to try SketchUp on a tablet.

I am wondering how you generated them. Did you use SketchUp, Nomad and Layout? :thinking:

1 Like

Nope. Just sketchup and procreate. I drew the textures in procreate first. Then I made the model in sketchup, changed the background to an off grey and took a bunch of screenshots. I opened those in procreate and made two sheets which I wrote on and saved those as PDFs.

2 Likes

Hi Dani,

Thank you for your answer and the illustrations.

I should give PROCREATE a go. I think this style works very well with theater design. Stylish, informative and relatively quick.

2 Likes

Procreate ads a sort of organic sketch layer. I’ve been working theatre for over 20 years, and I think SketchUp for iPad specifically is a great tool in that case. Especially when combined with procreate.

Most theatre designers use vector works for design ( if they’re not staunch hand drawn enthusiasts) but I suspect that’s only because most theatres have base plans for vector and autocad that they can start from, as well as most of us having been a college professor at some point, we usually have access to the free student version through one of our emails.

This has been a massive game changer for me when doing theatre work.

I really like Procreate. Wish I had more time to get really good at it. At 3D Basecamp in Vancouver, during the keynote I found myself sitting next to someone drawing in Procreate the whole time. All I could do was watch him instead of the speaker, thinking “I wish I was that proficient with it.” Turns out it was J. J. Zanetta who was a fellow speaker there to deomonstrate his workflow, so I quickly signed up for his session. You have a definite style of your own with it that’s very successful.

2 Likes

Thank you :heart:

I come from a fine art background and sometimes it’s just easier to draw it than think about how to model it. But I love how the modeling makes me think more about the construction aspect of how to actually build it, whereas procreate is better for the initial inspired idea. The two programs together are a great workforce for me. (It also helps that procreate is about 20$ for a lifetime.)

Even with the steampunk chicken blimp a little higher in the thread, I started with a series of sketches in procreate.

Some iPad diffusion fun. I was looking to detox after a stressful morning so I was “sketching” in SketchUp on my iPad. Did a fun door and then thought I’d throw it to diffusion to see what happened. Got these….

Pulled up the iPad’s markup feature and literally scribbled.

Should I put anything else kind of fantasy through some diffusion?

13 Likes

unicorns unicorns! Tell Diffusion to add one.

1 Like

Nobody does Hobbit doors like you do Hobbit doors. I’m guessing if you just scribble anything it will turn out cool.

Edit: I guess Hobbit doors are actually round… so the image triggered a fantasy-land as-is. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

If I type in "Hobbit doors and give credence to the prompt?

Prompt “a hobbit door in the hillside”
Geometry set to half, prompt to full

Not great. But since it’s attached to a SketchUp model, I am glad it wants to look more than it listens.

Same prompt, geometry set to 0
Which is really pointless (but still interesting) because I want a version of my actual model.

also…

12 Likes