Curious about why Shadows of translucent faces are different on the ground vs. objects

I was playing around with model ideas for a tutorial on inference markers and axis directions when and I noticed something strange about the shadows on the ground. They are different on the ground vs the surface. Can anyone explain why that is? It’s not a big deal, I’m just curious. Thanks!

hard to tell without the model…

but having Shadows on at all for this ‘tutorial’ seems a bit odd to me…

even if the displayed correctly it’s just extra noise…

john

You can tell on the ground in the image that the “green endpoint” circles are displaying differently on the ground vs. on the rectangle on the ground. Is the image showing clearly?

Shadows aren’t necessary, but they feel more 3D. The issue isn’t the tutorial, though, that will surely change as I play with it. I’m really curious about the shadow behavior in general, regardless of the model involved.

What happens if the rectangles on the ground have their faces reversed? I can’t tell if the top of their surface is the reverse side or not, but that colour would indicate that it is the reverse side that is facing up.

It’s the same, Centaur, even if the faces are reversed. They were right-side-up at first, I re-reversed them to make the contrast easier to see for the sake of this post. Good thinking, though.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.