Creating a box with rounded edges

I am using sketchup 2017 that is resident on my PC. I am trying to create a 100x100x30mm box with the top 4 edges rounded and the 4 verticals corners rounded. I have see some videos but their method, I believe, only works when the radius is large (making a bowl). I have piecemealed the goal as shown in the attached but am still left with the empty top 4 corners.
box with rounded edges.skp (79.4 KB)

Also, if one is to do something like I have done, in the attached, is it possible to make the final item a solid structure? Sorry I don’t have the terminology down.

Imran

Have a look at this, radii don’t have to be large and you only need to model upper or lower half.

Click in sequence on the scenes tabs of this SU file for ideas.

This file illustrate my philosophy of tackling the difficult parts first. Then, the easy parts will be … easy to do.

Dice.skp (575.7 KB)

1 Like

This is the one I followed and it did not work for me.

What happened when you tried? How big is your starting cube? Share the skp file so we can see what you are working with.

This should work for the last bit left in what I attached.

I attached a file showing what I am trying to do. I ended up with open spaces where there should be surfaces. I am a novice so may be I made a mistake. I am trying to make a 100x100x30 mm box with 6mm radius. In attached, I have done the verticals but need to also do the 4 edges on top.
test.skp (43.4 KB)

Not necessarily your mistake in process, you are running into the lower limits of face size that SketchUp can create, sometimes called the tiny face issue. The very small faces in the rounded corners can exist but have trouble forming at such a small scale. Re-do the same operation in meters (100m x 100m x30m) then use the scale tool to size down by .001.

Or if this is for 3D printing just leave the model in meters and export the STL as meters then import into a slicer as MM.

Endless fix, Thanks for showing me this. I tried something similar but the box was hollow? I assume same is true with your example. Is there a way to make it solid? I asked this question in my original post for this reason.

SketchUp is a surface modeler, so all geometry is represented by effectively 2D flat planes. All geometry is “hollow”, a shape can be a watertight vessel, that is, completely enclosed with no holes from the inside to the outside, like a closed cube. When a shape is watertight like this it is known as a “solid” but if you erase one face you will find it hollow inside, showing the blue backside color of the outward facing surfaces. If you find your shape is missing a face, any face can be recreated by tracing a single edge on it’s perimeter. Does this clear some of it up? Knowing why do you want a shape to be “solid”, for what purpose, would help me answer more specifically.

That makes sense. I was doing a thru hole and deleting circled from top and bottom left the inside visible. Maybe I need to pull the circle perimeter to give the hole a wall.

| endlessfix Learned One
September 25 |

• | - |

SketchUp is a surface modeler, so all geometry is represented by effectively 2D flat planes. All geometry is “hollow”, a shape can be a watertight vessel, that is, completely enclosed with no holes from the inside to the outside, like a closed cube. When a shape is watertight like this it is known as a “solid” but if you erase one face you will find it hollow inside, showing the blue backside color of the outward facing surfaces. If you find your shape is missing a face, any face can be recreated by tracing a single edge on it’s perimeter. Does this clear some of it up? Knowing why do you want a shape to be “solid”, for what purpose, would help me answer more specifically.

Or push the face of the circle through with Push/Pull

Yes, try the circle on one face only, then select it and use the push-pull tool to extrude the circle through the piece. If you push-pull to exactly the surface of the other face a through hole will be created.

Maybe check out some of the excellent learning opportunities here to master the basics:

https://learn.sketchup.com

Thankyou, Endless fix. I was able to follow your directions.

1 Like