Crashes in Sketchup Make 2017

Sketchup make has just started crashing on my windows 10 machine after running well for months. Any advice? My windows 10 machine does automatic windows updates. Is there an issue with a recent update?

I just tried a trial of sketchup pro and it also crashes promptly after startup.

For openers, you could try updating the video driver. Do not rely on Windows to supply the latest driver. Go to the Nvidia site and download the latest driver. Install and restart the computer.

When you write “crash” do you mean that SketchUp terminates and a bugsplat window appears? If so, you might post (as a reply here) the first 100 or so lines of the resulting report. Trimble is not going to diagnose and attempt to fix a problem with SketchUp Make 2017 any longer. If you get bugs plats with SketchUp Pro 2022 then those should be reported to Trimble and they will (presumably) be investigated.

Have you installed any new extensions recently, or updated any? You might try disabling all extensions via the Extension Manager window, shut down and restart SketchUp, and see if the spontaneous crashes continue.

Thanks! This worked (so far - haven’t worked much, but eliminated the immediate crash). Much appreciated.

Lenovo Vantage indicated I had the best driver for my T15G with a NVIDIA Geoforce RTX 2080 Super, but the NVIDIA website had something newer.

Always go by the Nvidia site for the latest drivers, not Lenovo or Windows.

Thanks Updating the graphics card driver seems to have prevented an immediate crash when opening the 2022 trial version. (I use open cut list - which is now running fine with 2017. I have not installed it for 2022.)

I did not get a bugsplat report when it crashed. The program just quit.

Crash without BugSplat happens when the program aborts due to a severe internal error. A graphics driver issue is one possible source of such an error.

Thanks. Surprising that after working well with my existing driver for months 2017 would require a new driver.

Paul Schwartz

slbaumgartner SketchUp Sage
April 24

Crash without BugSplat happens when the program aborts due to a severe internal error. A graphics driver issue is one possible source of such an error.

It’s not that 2017 requires a new driver. SketchUp 2017 Make hasn’t changed for nearly 5 years. But Windows and other updates often include graphics driver updates that don’t support OpenGL correctly. this has been the way things are for many years. Keeping the drivers up to date by getting them from the GPU maker’s site will help.

Got it. Thanks. Really appreciate the prompt and useful responses.

Paul Schwartz

DaveR SketchUp Sage
April 24

SKFF:

Surprising that after working well with my existing driver for months 2017 would require a new driver.

It’s not that 2017 requires a new driver. SketchUp 2017 Make hasn’t changed for nearly 5 years. But Windows and other updates often include graphics driver updates that don’t support OpenGL correctly. this has been the way things are for many years. Keeping the drivers up to date by getting them from the GPU maker’s site will help.