Context menu missing "Explode" on 3D text

Hi!
Long time user, now using online version and love it! Thank you!

I’ve noticed that while right clicking on 3D text, “Explode” is no longer an option.

I’ve found a workaround by selecting other stuff with the 3D text and the “Explode” option will appear in the context menu.

Thanks again.

Hmmmm…

It’s there for me. Do you get the Edit Component context menu item?

Hmm, no, when I right click the 3D text deselects.

Get the full menu if something else is selected.

Tried it on a new project and everything worked fine. I dunno. Thanks.

Your first one doesn’t show a component selected as far as I can tell.

Can you share the .skp file?

It unselects when I right click, but didn’t do it on a new project.

Not sure how to share a .skp

Click on the pancake menu in the upper left corner and choose Download. Then drag and drop the downloaded .skp file into your reply here.

Ahhhh I saw the upload icon.

Explode bug.skp (6.7 MB)

I’ve been working in 2D.

I changed view then went back to 2D and it fixed it.

Looks like you managed to get some weird stuff in the model. Between that and having the Camera set for Parallel Projection, you’ve got some issues. I ran an extension to rescue the model and purged some unused stuff. It seems to play nicely now. Not a bug with Explode. It’s some messed up modeling.

Explode bug.skp (1.2 MB)

Screenshot - 9_15_2020 , 6_30_19 PM

Awesome! Thanks you for your help!

Is there a way to “purge” excess junk like that on the free version?

Also, I’m assuming the junk mixed with my 2D view is responsible for the layer issues I’ve been having as well.

Do you have advice for layer management in 2D drawings?

Like “Send to back” or “Bring to front” type equivalents?

or just ways to not junk it up?

Sorry to bombard you with so many questions.

Thanks again!

You can purge unused components in the Components panel when the In Model components are shown.
Screenshot - 9_15_2020 , 6_48_20 PM

There’s a similar thing for Materials and Tags. In the desktop version there’s a way to do it for everything at once.

Probably. There really is no such thing as layers in SketchUp. There are tags which are used for visibility control.

That’s 2D application talk. SketchUp is a 3D modeling tool and as such Send to Front/Send to Back makes no sense. You’re working in 3D space so if you want one object to appear behind another, you need to actually move it back in space.

Again, no layers in SketchUp. Objects (groups and components) can get tags assigned to them to allow you to control the visibility of those objects. The order of the tags makes no difference for that like the order of layers does in 2D programs.

Key thing with SketchUp is to leave Untagged as active. ALL edges and faces remain untagged and only components and groups get other tags assigned to them.

What is your use for the model when you get it done? Are you only planning to make a 2D drawing or are you going to take this to 3D?

Thanks.

No plans for 3D. I am using it to create plans to submit to the city for a construction project. I initially tried with other 2D software but am semi proficient with Sketchup and it being geared in actual measurements rather than pixels has been a help. It’s been mostly fine, but I think I just need to snap out of parallel projection every once in a while.

SketchUp is really designed to be used in Perspective camera mode and Parallel Projection is intended for output. You really shouldn’t be modeling with the camera set to Parallel Projection.

FWIW, if this is a commercial project you would need to be using SketchUp Shop or SketchUp Pro. If you want to create output that looks at all professional, you would be best to be using SketchUp Pro and LayOut. (LayOut is mainly for creating documentation but it’s also a 2D application.)

Thanks,

It is a personal project, as for now, printing to .pdf with limited resolution and watermarks has sufficed but I will look into Layout, although using a Chromebook, web based is a must.

Thanks again.

LayOut is part of the SketchUp Pro package and will require Windows or Mac OS.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.