Collada DAE Export Rendering

export

Hello,

We are testing out SketchUp Pro and we have a model that we’re looking to export as a Collada file (.DAE). However, after exporting the model, and importing it into the web framework A-FRAME (https://aframe.io) we’ve noticed that some of the faces of the model are missing upon and thus their textures are not being applied. We have followed this same export process within SketchUp for a handful of our other models and this doesn’t always happen.

A temporary solution was to set the export options to have both “Triangulate All Faces” and “Export Two-Sided Faces” selected. However, this isn’t really a solution because, in the places where the faces are missing, a plain grey block is put there in its place without the texture.

I have been talking with Katya with SketchUp support and she asked me to post this issue here so we can get a more collective insight on what could be causing the problem.

Please let me know what additional information or visuals I can provide. Prior to exporting, the model in question is completely in tact when viewing in SketchUp.

Thanks,
Frank

Can you share the SKP file for one that fails?

I tried to upload the SKP file, but it’s exceeding 3072KB even when I try to compress the file. I can make it accessible in another manner if you prefer.

My guess is that the faces “missing” in the application you are importing the file are ones that are reversed, that is, showing their back sides in SketchUp. View your model in SketchUp in the Monochrome face style with a style that has a big contrast between the front and back side colours in its Default material. Then you can use the Reverse faces and Orient faces commands to make sure that the back faces are facing “inward”.

I was able to change the face style to Monochrome, but I couldn’t figure out how to use the Reverse and Orient faces command. Where would this be located?

When I currently view the DAE file in A-FRAME, depending on how I pan around the 3D model, in certain views a face will appear and other angles it will disappear. Is this occurring based on what you were mentioning about back faces needing to be facing inward?

They are in the context menu. Select a face that is reversed, right-click and choose “Reverse Faces”. To use Orient faces, it is similar, but select a face that is the right way out and right-click, choose “Orient Faces” and SketchUp will try and flip all the faces that are inside-out. In the default style with monochrome view, front faces are white (or grey) and the back faces are a blueish colour.

It’s hard to say without seeing your SketchUp model. If it is too large to upload here, you could share it by Dropbox or one of the other cloud storage places. You could also make a small example that shows the problem by copying a chunk of your model into a new file, purge unused components and textures, etc. and then upload it here.

I have uploaded the SKP file to DropBox.

Here’s the URL to download the file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/x6f5d7d1gq28o3o/West%20Library%20Wing.skp?dl=0

I can see lots of back-faces in the SketchUp model. Most of these are in your trees but there are some on the building and the bench seats and plant pots at the front door. I’ve never used aframe.io so I don’t know if reversed faces cause problems there. You could at least look and see if the reversed faces are the ones that disappear in A-Frame.

All the blue faces are back-faces:

When we import the model into A-FRAME, we actually aren’t using the trees or plants (for optimization purposes). We’ve manually removed them so the building itself is where potential back-faces may not be rendering in A-FRAME.

I’ve attached a screenshot showing what the model looks like with the missing faces in A-FRAME.

33%20PM

I have more screenshots I can provide, but since I’m a new user, the forum software will only allow me to upload one file to my post at a time.

I don’t think I can help you. I hid the trees and arranged the camera to a view similar to yours and it looks fine in SketchUp. It looks fine exported as DAE and viewed in Preview. It also looks fine when the DAE is reimported into SketchUp again.

I appreciate you trying. I also noticed that the DAE file looks fine in Preview. It’s certainly puzzling how some of my other DAE models imported into A-FRAME look fine and a select few like the one in question don’t render properly. I’m starting to think that this isn’t a SketchUp conversion issue, but could be something related to A-FRAME or more specifically Three.js which is what A-FRAME is built on top of.

The A-Fame site states that glTF is their prefered model format. Have you tried using a glTF exporter extension for SketchUp? There are a few in the Extension Warehouse

http://extensions.sketchup.com/en/search/site/gltf

Hi @frankangelone - I haven’t forgotten about you! I’ve asked around about this a few times, and may have finally gotten a hit. One manager said this:

"…the application he is bringing the dae into also supports OBJ and glTF, which they recommend.
There is a glTF exporter in the EWH which is free for one… and we do export obj with SU Pro."

Maybe that could be useful for you - hope so!

Thank you for your replies, @ChrisDizon, and @Katya. I was actually able to solve the problem using the instructions provided in this article: https://sites.google.com/site/alexvaqp/sketchupblender