City Skylines... amazing world and visuals for a $50 game

4 Likes

And of course a lot of effort and skill

On Steam, Cities: Skylines is described like this: Cities: Skylines is a modern take on the classic city simulation. The game introduces new game play elements to realize the thrill and hardships of creating and maintaining a real city whilst expanding on some well-established tropes of the city building experience.
I am wondering if you could expand on the relationship you saw with SketchUp (I realize that SketchUp can be used to design elements of cities - buildings, etc, but I guess there’s more to it).

Thanks for sharing this information. I would also like to suggest latest version of minecraft apk download for any smartphone.

It does look impressive!

3d file repositories such as turbosquid and others now have GIS-modelled City environments for a relatively low price ($50) and a large size, eg 40x40 km. most of the content is automated from large data capture set.

Then you have realtime rendering engines and gaming engines such as Twinmotion and Unreal Engine. They can render and animate the model, and insert all the trains, cars, people, and add sound effects, etc, etc…

The tricky part is to take the GIS model (which is pretty basic in terms of plants and physical details), and add a layer of procedurally-generated textures and 3d assets (plants, rocks, etc).
Then a person would need to spend a fair bit of time fine-turning and customising the key parts of that model, like the train stations, which are modelled from scratch.

My point? This is the modern world of 3d modelling… SketchUp should aim to catch up, by allowing the import of GIS data, generating assets from that data, and by exporting render-ready models (with suitable scale and asset classes). We have a good Twinmotion workflow, and Lumion of course is pretty powerful. There’s a lot of development yet to come, I think.

2 Likes

Hers is another very talented Japanese guy showing his building a modern environment in timelapse… quite amazing… using ahuge amount of free mods [community plugins] that enhance the game…
cough cough Trimble - LAYOUT API ?

always on the lookout for a better way of doing things… thats all… and amazing at what this software can achieveand big companies cannot !