Change Comma - Dot As Decimal Separator

its a minor one but would be a huge time saver:

Have an option in the settings to use either a Comma or a Dot as decimal separator.

My problem: I am in Germany, so my operating system is in German and uses a comma as decimal separator. However, I prefer to have my keyboard set to English, because then the Z is in the bottom left and Ctrl + Z can be operated with one hand. Unfortunately that also changes the comma on the number pad to a dot, which SketchUp doesnt recognize (since the OS is in German setting).

Therefore a simple option in the preferences to change the decimal separator to either comma or dot (or use the system setting by default) would do wonders to my productivity…

1 Like

Hello, this can be set up inside windows settings, go to “region & language pannel”, then “additional settings”, and change decimal separator.

You will then have to restart sketchup so that the changes can apply

1 Like

This is a possible solution. However, it changes the setting system-wide. So in any other app, like Words or Excel, where I want to keep my keyboard as German, it gets changed too.

A setting inside SketchUp would be nicer.

But of course I understand, that SketchUp might not see this as an important enough issue to implement it in their software…

I doubt it would be simple. SketchUp likely uses OS calls to convert text to numbers. Taking on that responsibility within SketchUp would likely require a massive hunt for places where programs need to change.

If the only reason is for the Ctrl+Z function. Then why dont you still have your keyboard in german and add a shortcut inside sketchup for undo that you can easily do one handed?

1 Like

If I’m not mistaken that shortcut would be Ctrl+Ü.

I’m however confused how any program whatsoever can be used with a German keyboard if Ctrl and Z aren’t available to press with one hand :open_mouth: . That is probably the most useful key combination! How German computers can have these keys elsewhere is beyond me.

Another workaround could be to use a Swedish keyboard. I think it is quite similar to the German.

I use Swedish keyboard, European decimal comma and US English as system language by the way.

3 Likes

Ctrl z is reachable with one hand, just less convenient. The z and y are swapped.

1 Like

If z and y are swapped, I’d consider that <ctrl>-Z to be barely reachable - with great effort.

I just tried <ctrl>-Y on my full size, US English keyboard and, while I could do it with my left hand (which I use for <ctrl>-Z)- it hurt!

It’s easier with my right hand, but that’s my mouse hand and I’d rather not move my hand from my mouse.

It depends on your keyboard skills, a keyboard is designed for use with 2 hands and all keys are reachable with shift or ctrl, if that wasn’t the case nobody would be able to learn to touch type.
I have spent years working with keyboards of many languages, that has helped me become more familiar with strange key combinations. Finding the @ when it needs a combination including alt gr can be frustrating.

There are times that I have problems even finding my keyboard …

5 Likes

@Lulwa`s suggestion is so obvious that I simply must have missed it! :slight_smile:

Set my shortcut to Ctrl + Y (same position as English Z) and also created a Redo shortcut by just adding Shift.

Lets see how easy it is to get accustomed to…

Just be careful when doing that as ctrl y is the system default for redo. Sometimes SU doesn’t like changing system defaults.

1 Like

Update: Indeed, the system doesnt like it one bit. So much so, that it seems, my custom shortcut gets lost every time I restart SketchUp.

So, sadly, that didnt work.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.