Can't Import Sketchup Model 2022 into 3Ds max 2023

Hi Everyone

I’ve problem. I can’t import .skp model to 3ds max 2023 any help please. Model in the link. I don’t want to export as any other formats like obj fbx or 3ds. I whant to import this model as it is in native skp format. 3Ds max does nothing. Problem is with skp model.

I don’t see anything basically wrong with the file, except the bloat (probably imported 3D Warehouse components). I don’t have 3DS Max, so I don’t know about its SketchUp import capabilities. If SKP is a supported file format and you get an error message importing your file, you could try saving the file from SketchUp to an older SketchUp version file format. See the 3DS Max documentation about supported SketchUp versions. The import might take a long time because of all the edges and faces.

1 Like

I directly imported the .SKP file into Blender 3.4.1. Check your 3ds Max import settings.

1 Like

As @Anssi indicated this file is extremely bloated with heavy components. There are numerous duplicated materials in the file and many that are much larger than they need to be. A cleanup is in order. I don’t know how 3DsMax handles face orientation but there are a number of components with exposed back faces that ought to be corrected.

1 Like

What the Autodesk help page says:

You would probably be on the safer side if you saved your model to an older version (2014?) prior to importing it to 3DS Max.

1 Like

3dsmax can handle tons of geometry. As a general rule, if it runs in Sketchup, Max can smoothly handle that like a champ.
I’m not sure about the newest 3dsMax version, because I only have it as an old perpetual license, but traditionally 3dsMax support older versions of Sketchup.
I saved it as sketchup v7 and it imported fine in 3dsSmax 2015… I can’t see why it shouldn’t load in the latest version. Make sure to save into an older v7 version and take some coffee or beer because you will have to wait quite a bit the importer, being that the model is made out of 13kmeshes with total 2.5 millions vertices.

By the way, this model is quite bad with tons of objects flying all over the place.
Moreover this kind of models should be managed using scenes, which this model doesn’t have.

1 Like

It doesn’t mean the SketchUp model should be as bloated it is, however.

1 Like

Agreed. In fact I usually model in a “modular” way when I have to prepare models for Max or Unity or Unreal… I tipically manage them as sub-models and “assemble” those in the final engine.
By the way if Sketchup can handle an “heavy” model, you may be pretty sure that 3dsMax, Maya or Blender, C4d or whatever heavy duty “super modeler” can spin that very same model like a whirligig.

1 Like

Thank you guys for all the help, much appreciated!

Thank you for your help )) Would you mind please providing me with a .max scene of this imported house. That would really help me. Thank you in advance again !!

Unfortunately I only downloaded to test out if there were particular bugs (which was not the case) and just deleted all of that right after.
By the way that was nothing special, you can easily replicate yoursef what I did.
Just use the dropdown in the Sketchup “save as” settings and chose an old version like .skp version 7 and that will be imported in Max for sure.
Downloading an reuploading such a large file wouldn’t make any sense and you would also need to relink your texture path because would be different from the one on my pc.

Which version of sketchup importer are you running if any? I’m having trouble importing anything into Blender. Kindly guide/link if possible

Blender 3.5 and Sketchup Importer 0.23.0

1 Like