Ok, so i have this 250mb mockup and need to export it for 3D viewing on Autocad 3D but everytime i try to export it to .dwg i end up facing one of these 2 problems:
1-Sketchup crashes and shows me the Bugsplat error, or the 183 error (failed to save dump) and it exports just the textures of it.
2-Sktchup exports the file to .dwg, but when i open it on autocad the model is empty.
Also, im not sure if that would help me, but when i try to purge the unused things on “Model Info, statistics” it goes back to problem 1.
I created that mockup on SU 2020 and now im using it on SU 2022, but both versions have the same exporting problems.
Could someone please help me plz? That’s making me mad.
Can you send the file to try here?
The first thing I would do is simplify the overly detailed vehicles. Many of them have way more detail than you need. Gut the interiors of them and paint the windows so they are opaque like some of the other vehicle components. Consider what detail is critical to communicate what you need to communicate. The instrument cluster and other interior detail in the Mercedes, for example, is probably not important. You’ve invested nearly 73% of the file size in those vehicle components. Are they 73% of the story you’re trying to tell?
Also note you have a lot of exposed backfaces. That might cause you issues. Correcting them would be certain to help reduce futre issues.
Your model is extremely bloated for the information content
I would replace the fence slats and grilles with textures and get rid of the detailed sports cars. If your profile is correct, exporting this to CAD as is might choke your computer.
Oh i really didnt think about the cars interiors, but I could try doing this, but what do you mean with the exposed backfaces? How could i correct these?
About the fences, unfortunately i cant substitute them cause my client really does want them in the model.
Did you see my screenshot? That’s with the Face Style set to Monochrome. The blue is the back sides of the faces. There shouldn’t be any back faces visible in the model from this view. You can right click on the faces and choose Reverse Faces from the Context menu. You should be fixing incorrect face orientation as you go and certainly before you start applying materials… It’s much less work that way.
Oh, i see. LOL i always thought that was a normal thing on models. Imma try to fix it, thank you.
See, i just corrected the reverse faces and erased all that I could from the cars interiors. Also i tried to Purge Unused and it apparently did, since the model went from 250 to 232mb, but when I try to export it to 3D dwg, it starts exporting until Sketchup freezes, i get a message to close the software due to an “exporting error” and again, just exports the textures of it.
Here’s the new “corrected” model: Terreno-0-0.skp - Google Drive
Also Sketchup seems to be freezing way more with this corrected version, than it was then. And when i open it on Sketchup for web, it doesnt even saves the file online, so i cant even try to export it.
232 Mb is still a monstrously large file especially for what it shows. The vehicles are still overly detailed and there are still some huge texture images associated with them.
Yeah, I know, but it’s a paid project and my client wants these cars to be in scene, just as the fences. He doesnt even wants to use Sketchup to see the mockup, bu only Autocad.
So, isn’t there any way to export te model as it is now, or will i just be able to export if i erase something?
Paid or not, your model seems to be unworkable as it is.
Will your client be examining the vehicles to see their undersides and things like the reversed car manufacturer names?
Perhaps you could create two or three separate SketchUp files and import each of them into AutoCAD. Delete the cars and fences from the model and export the remains. Then undo the deletion of the cars and fences, delete everything but the fences and export another .dwg. Repeat the process and export the cars in a similar way.
If your client only wants an AutoCAD file, perhaps it would have made sense to just create the AutoCAD file from the beginning.
Before you get into future projects of this sort it would be wise to invest some time and effort into learning how to create efficient SketchUp models. You’ll be time, effort, and money ahead if you do.
Ok, thank you.
Anyway, funny how things are. One day i’m getting money with several dwg files created and exported by myself on Sketchup, and on the other, the way i’ve always been working and how it always worked to me is no longer “efficient”.
Yes. It’s funny how you can get away with inefficient modeling practices until one day you hit the limit of what your computer can handle and then it all goes pear-shaped. I see this regularly (4,5,6 times a week) from various users. I wish there was a way to get folks to learn to make efficient models without having to do it the hard way. If wishes were fishes, though.
By deleting all the cars and purging the file, it goes from 230 MB to 17 MB.
Then try to export, maybe you will succeed.
Export a single car separately and after importing it into the dwg file, multiply it as many times as you need. It might be useful for you to use a low-poly model of a car, not the high-poly ones you have now.
Regarding your model, you have a lot of ungrouped raw geometry (edges, faces), identical groups (fences) instead of a component, tags used inefficiently, unnecessarily detailed objects (sidewalks, borders, spots, etc…)
Basics of SketchUp at learn.sketchup.com