Cannot open the sketchUp file the was emailed to me by a freelancer

I hired a freelancer to create a SketchUp file for me. He sent it to me. But the only way to open it is a link. I have always been able to open files with SketchUp viewer. I also downloaded a newer Viewer. He said his is 2018. a pop up always appears that asks me to open in the Schools app. But I cannot add the Schools app.
what am I doing wrong? this has taken hours and now two days. it was suppose to be a quick and easy help for my design work!

Did you download a SKP file to your Downloads folder? Open SketchUp Viewer, and then use File, Open, to open the SKP you downloaded.

Your profile indicates you are using SketchUp Free (Web) 2017 which does not exist.

If you are using SketchUp 2017 Make, you would not be able to open files made with SketchUp 2018. If you are using the web based free version you should be able to upload and open the 2018 version of the file. In either case those versions would be inappropriate for your work.

If you are using a different version of SketchUp, please correct/complete your profile.

Sounds like OP is using Viewer. Maybe she has 2017 Make but also a Web account.

Maybe that. It was posted in the SketchUp category so who knows?

She did say that she has downloaded a new Viewer. My answer was assuming she did indeed download the newer viewer, but when opening a SKP Windows somehow was suggesting Schools app as the owner of SKP. Not sure what Schools app is.

Should this be in the viewer category, then?

Maybe it should be in the same category as her operating system.

1 Like

Then I obviously put in the wrong information.
I had SketchUp 2017.

The SketchUp site is extremely frustrating to some one who wants to learn.

Celia Barrett, ASID, IIDA, NEWH
Follow me on Instagram: Barrett.celia
Barrett Design Studio
601.354.0066 Office

No matter what, shouldn’t I be able to view what he sent me if I have SketchUp viewer?

Barrett Design Studio
601.354.0066 Office

Every time I tried to open his file that was sent to me, it would say open it in another app. And the only app that was offered was sketch up for schools. Which I cannot download because I am not a student.

Barrett Design Studio
601.354.0066 Office

If I could have simply just talked to someone earlier today everything would’ve worked out, I’m sure. But it’s impossible to get anyone on the phone. There is no phone

Barrett Design Studio
601.354.0066 Office

It is entirely possible that the link he sent you is wrong, you could add it here and someone will check, or private message it if you don’t want it public.
It may be that their is an issue with how your computer wants to deal with it, but as you have put Don’t Know as your operating system we can’t offer any relevant suggestions.
It may be that if you right click on the link it might give you an option to download the file.
We can guess all day…

By the way, replying from your email adds your signature to every post and you shouldn’t be throwing that out in public for spam bots to harvest.

I think so. The freelancer should send you a sketchup (“.skp”) file or a place for you to download it to your computer’s hard drive. As long as the skp. version is the same or older than the Viewer.

I was suggesting not to open the file, but to open SketchUp Viewer. Once you are in SketchUp Viewer you can open SKP files from the File menu.

If the model isn’t confidential, would you let us see the link from the contractor?

So you know, this forum is a public space where SketchUp users help each other. Some of us at SketchUp help too, but this isn’t the official support page.

For users of free versions of SketchUp, the forum is the only place for you to ask questions, but as you’ve seen, you will get a lot of suggestions in a short amount of time.