Cannot delete material even if I delete a component and the whole model content

Hi all,

I’ve build a quite large model of our new house, which is really a good support during real house building phase.

I imported a (customized?) material from the store for a sofa, even if the size was indicated with 12M. I just wanted to have a test and delete the material afterwards.

But I can’t delete the material with the button below the material list. I suspected, that the material is maybe linked to another component or object in my model. So I deleted on a copy of my model step by step all components, objects, tag, everything(!) until the model was completely deleted. But still only the material which I want to delete is in the material list!!
The name of the material is: “1_iBUILD_MATERIAL_LEATHER_red_leather_8”.
Any idea how to remove this material?

Thanks & BR,
Rainer

As long as the material is in use somewhere in the model, it won’t get deleted. Did you purge unused components from the model first? Simply deleting them from the model space does not remove them from the file. You have to purge them from the Components panel.

purge

1 Like

yes, in the file copy of my model I also purged all(!) components from the components panel as well as all tags. So the components panel is empty, the tags panel is empty, the model is deleted, the material list is empty except one material which I want to delete…
Any idea?

Thanks!

Hard to tell without seeing the .skp file. Maybe something you have hidden?

Share the file so we can see and don’t have to guess.

Hi Dave,

I uploaded a copy with all content and components deleted, except the material I cannot delete.
The original file is currently approx. 55MB.

Thanks & BR,
Rainer

Haus 3D V2.13.10tmp (2).skp (12.6 MB)

Looks like a weird hanger-on. I was able to delete the material in the desktop version.

It would be interesting to see the original file to see how it was being used in the first place. You could upload the file to Drop Box and share the link.

Sorry, currently I don’t use dropbox. I have to install it. I’ll do it later.
BR

Google Drive?

yepp, but then I would need your mail address to give you access to the file.

No you wouldn’t need my e-mail address, you can get and share the link in a reply here.

Ok, I managed. Here is the link:

It took some searching but it is applied to the IKEA KLUBBO coffee table. It’s applied to the component instance while the faces inside have their own materials so the material applied to the component container won’t show.

It also seem to be applied to something else although I haven’t found it yet. It covers a little more than 21.5 square meters.
Screenshot - 11_28_2021 , 11_46_02 AM

It is definitely elusive.

A couple of other comments on your model.

First, you have a lot of reversed faces. There should be no exposed blue back faces in your model. Applying materials to them doesn’t not fix that.

There’s quite a lot of incorrect tag usage. ALL edges and faces in your model should be created and remain untagged. Only components, groups, and dimensions should get tags. The result of fixing that:
Screenshot - 11_28_2021 , 11_49_48 AM

Here is your file with only the red leather material removed. That seemed to have knocked about 24% off the file size. This version does not have the incorrect layer usage fixed and I didn’t do anything with the reversed faces.

1 Like

Hi Dave,

many thanks for your help! Even if I have a quite fast Mac Mini M1, there is a noticeable speed difference between 53MB file and 40MB file size. So for me the file is “fine” again.

Sorry, I started to build this model as a complete newbie. So probably I used Sketchup is the beginning maybe not in a good manner. I didn’t get the point with the reversed faces. How can I see this view in your screenshot 11_47_22 AM? Does it mean, that maybe in the beginning I started to pull walls into the wrong direction (which should be the bottom side by default)?

That requires changing the style to have the Monochrome Face Style. Unfortunately there isn’t a Monochrome style in the Default set and there’s no option in the free version to edit the style. To correct the model you would need to remove the back face materials and apply them to the front faces. If you use the Default material to paint all those back faces you would be able to see the faces that need to be reversed.

Generally the reversed faces like you have indicate that you started with a large face and then drew the outlines for the wall before pulling them up. It used to be when you drew a rectangle on the ground plane it’s back face would be up. Normally the next step would be to make that a 3D shape and the face orientation would correct itself so it didn’t matter. But if you do things they woay you did, you wind up with reversed faces everywhere. Recently they changed the behavior so when you draw that first rectangle the front face is up. This eliminates the problem that you have.

Best practice is to avoid applying materials until you have all of your geometry correctly modeled. And when you do get reversed faces, correct them immediately.

OK, understood. Which disadvantages or problems may arise with the reversed faces?

The face orientation affects various things in the model. It kind of depends on how you are going to use it, though. Maybe at this point, because you’re already in pretty deep, just leave the face orientation alone for this model. But on your next model…

OK, thanks for your help and hints!
BR, Rainer

1 Like

Just thought I’d jump in here and answer the question.

If you’re going to be 3D printing it (which I’m guessing probably not, based on your model), reversed faces can cause issues in the slicer, which is the program you use for preparing the model for 3D printing. Ultimaker Cura is the slicer I use; PrusaSlicer is another example.

The issue lies in the fact that SketchUp is a face modeler, not a solid modeler. So each face is essentially a 2-dimensional shape with a front and a back side to it. If you have the back side facing out, it’ll actually cause textures to appear inside-out, and it’ll also cause the slicer program to have problems if you’re 3D printing.

This video explains it better than I can: youtu.be/H94pfkzZfZY

Good luck on the house!
Jason

Hi Jason,

thanks for your additional explanations. That makes it more clear.

Thanks & Happy New Year!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.