Can you import images into sketchup?

Hey all,

I am very, very new to the SketchUp community! I am using SketchUp for landscape design and had a couple of questions. I was poking around the 3D Warehouse and it definitely has some great stuff but it can be hard to find specific things. Does anyone know if there are specific plant libraries? Also, is there a way to import an image into SketchUp and have it be part of the model? That would be super helpful. Thanks for any and all help!

Erin

File/Import - select All Supported Image Types - check on the Image.
There are some plants on the warehouse but I believe, as all things, good plants don’t come free.

1 Like

Welcome to the forums!

In response to the first part of your post, the 3D warehouse is your best bet to find what you need. If you can’t find what you need, you can always try to create it on your own, although I have always found modeling plants to be difficult.

In response to the second part of your question, SketchUp can import images. Do you need help with this?

Finally, I would recommend that you take a look at the 3D tree maker extension. Take a look at it and see if it is what you are looking for.

Here is a link to it: Extension | SketchUp Extension Warehouse

I hate to be the killjoy who says RTFM, but a question such as yours really does not require a specially formulated answer from fellow users in real time. Generally, questions regarding the program’s basic capabilities can be resolved rather quickly by looking them up in the documentation, which is variously referred to as the Help Center, the Knowledge Center, or the Knowledge Base. You can get there by going to the Help menu in SU and clicking Knowledge Center.

Out of curiosity I entered the exact same question into the Knowledge Center that you used to title your post here. Although the Knowledge Center can be a little hit-or-miss sometimes (in which case you should immediately come here for an answer), not so on this question. To my pleasant surprise, the KC came back with a thorough article explaining image file types and how to import them. Better and more complete, I daresay, than the off-the-cuff answers you received here.

-Gully