Can’t open file - SketchUp immediately crashes

I notice that you have not used any scenes. When I do work like yours (which I do a lot), I set up a plan scene for each floor and an elevation scene for each elevation. I usually have section scenes too and maybe one or two perspective scenes. They are all in preparation for export to Layout which I use for presentation purposes. Except for the perspective scenes, the others would have the camera set to Parallel projection. I usually use the presets for Top View, Front View, etc, although I name them differently.

Ok so this is something which I definitely need to learn more about as I would love to start using Layout for presentation purposes. Like i say, I’m still very new and learning all the features. I will do a bit of research on scenes. Thank you so much for all of your help! It is HUGELY appreciated! I was having a meltdown last night when I couldn’t open the file.

When I decided to start using SU instead of any other CAD program, I read Michael Brightman’s Sketchup Workflow for Architecture. I recommend you read it too.

And to get you started with scenes: Apartment.skp (1.8 MB)

Thats great, thank you. I will definitely give that a read.

Regarding scenes, how do I then see inside each room if I don’t split each elevation up into its own individual tag?

Normal way would be to create section cuts and align the view.

Like this: Apartment.skp (1.8 MB)

Although something about Catalina may be involved, that’s not the cause of the crash per-se. The original version of this model has some serious errors in the geometry database that cause SketchUp to crash while attempting to draw a defective face. These are trapped by SketchUp as you open the model, and if you let SketchUp fix them the model opens fine under Catalina and SketchUp 2020.

You should have seen a warning dialog from SketchUp when you tried to open the model. If you didn’t, most likely at some point you checked the box to not show such messages again. You can re-enable the check via Preferences->General. If the dialog did pop up, you must have checked the box to not fix errors now.

Note: I submitted a BugSplat to Trimble. Regardless of whether Catalina is to blame, this is bug. The code shouldn’t crash due to detectable errors in its own geometry data.

Just so I’m a little more aware for next time, could you explain what you mean when you say:

‘The original version of this model has some serious errors in the geometry database that cause SketchUp to crash’

and what can I do to avoid making these errors in future? Am I personally making the errors because I am drawing/modelling incorrectly?

Regarding the warning dialogue box, I would have clicked to fix the problems if the box came up, but as soon as I clicked the file to open, SketchUp completely shut down, the file wouldn’t open at all, and no box popped up. However, I have now changed the settings to ‘automatically check model for problems’ and ‘automatically fix problems when they are found’ - will this hopefully fix that issue going forward?

Sorry I’m not sure if I have replied directly to your message or just to the thread in general. I’m totally new at this!

There are multiple kinds of errors trapped by the “fix my models” test, but all of them ultimately come down to bugs in SketchUp’s management of its internal database. In this case there were some vertices that were distinct in the database yet at identical locations in space. That isn’t supposed to happen. The way you create or edit your model may trigger these bugs, but they are not because you did something explicitly wrong. So, I can’t give you a list of specific “don’t do this” rules. The good news is that they aren’t a frequent occurrence. You can go years without running into any.

Having the fix enabled should avoid the silent crash going forward. But be aware that in many cases the only fix SketchUp can find is to delete defective items, which is a bit like cutting out an abscess. The rest is now whole, but whatever was in that abscess is gone! Always examine a model carefully afterward to assure yourself that nothing important was deleted.

Your reply will have a tag up at the top indicating it was a reply to my post, but it will go into the general topic so that others can also see the discussion. If there is anything you want to keep private, send a personal message instead by clicking on the other person’s avatar (the little circle next to their name) and choosing “message”.

I tried in Catalina, and without fixing the model SketchUp does crash, but by letting it fix the model it opens ok. I don’t think it’s a Catalina specific issue.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.