Can I use 2016 and 2019 on one pc?

Can I use 2016 version and 2019 version on one pc?
I’m using 2016 version and didn’t made any upgrades.
I have many plugins which work perfectly especially undet plugin which works better than in 2017ver… The only problem with 2016 is that there are many new models in warehouse which need conversion to 2019.

As I don’t trust any cad software developers I would like to know if I buy 2019 I will have to upgrade any time new version is available?
And if there is possibility that sketchup 2019 wi works fine without uninstalling 2016 version?

Thanks for some information.
Adams

Each major version installs separately so you should be able to run SU2019 assuming your graphics card is up to snuff. You’ll need to get a new license for SU2019.

You can just download and install 2019 and see for yourself. I think you have a 40 day trial.

30 days.

1 Like

You should check for graphics card capability. They reworked the SketchUp graphics code in 2017 and as of then adequate OpenGL support is mandatory.

Maybe I will decide to try on a new machine, and if something goes wrong I will reset the win10.
I’m still working with quadra 4000, but now I’ve bought Dell (mobile) with quadra p3200 and I was thinking if I should buy 2019 or stay with 2016.

I’m distrustful because the software market is changing last years and I don’t want to go into subscription plans or make some adverse changes .
Last time I’ve bought new Microsoft Office 2019, and I’ve noticed that the graphics in downloaded html mails (in Microsoft Outlook), are not visible when You are not online. Few years ago, with old Windows Mail, there was no such a problem (Once downloaded graphics, they stayed on your disk)
When You are online the problem is practically imperceptible, so maybe it is the reason people don’t care.

I hope Sketchup does not serve such surprises and I hope there is not only the way in front of us, that we will be forced to pay each year subscription fees for everything. I’m retired architect, so I have no continuity of orders.
Best regards.
A

I thought I wrote 30 :stuck_out_tongue: .

@4_spam. You should go with Undet for SketchUp 2019 (latest version) without any doubt. We had done deep software testing, and lately, everything works very well.

As you are looking at a new computer with a quadro graphics card, we may need to customize the Undet software. If you will see empty clipping box after loading Undet project, please inform us and we will do individual customization (info@undet.com). :wink:

Thank You.
I will contact You via email.
Adams - Adam.K.

Please let me know yet, if I can work with 2019 version offline, and if I can install plugins from my rbz files which I’ve already downloaded on my computer ?
Best regards
Adam

Going back to your original need, you can download most models from the 3D Warehouse in a web browser, as Collada format. That would give you the wider range of models, and still you could stay in 2016.

If you do get 2019, rather than install the RBZ file that you got for 2016, it would be worth opening the Extension Warehouse in SketchUp, sign in, point at your profile and choose My Extensions. That will show a list of extensions you previously downloaded to 2016 from the Extension Warehouse, with an Install link next to each one. The advantage of doing it that way is that you will get an updated version of the extension, that has been tested with 2019.

Hi.
I know how it works in 2019 with the extension warehouse, but I’m not sure if I will be able to install the extension from rbz files which I have on my computer and which for example are not present in warehouse. Will I be able to do that?
Thanks Adam

Yes. Use Install Extension which is found at the bottom of the Extension Manager panel. Be aware, though, if those extensions are older, they may not work in SU2019. Best option is to download and install fresh from the source. If you are referring to extensions from Sketchucation, use the Sketchucation Extension Store tool to install fresh copies. If you use the tool to install extensions in the earlier SketchUp version, you will have a bundle that can be installed automatically in the new version.

OK. I decided to buy a new 2019 version for new computer, and to re-register (sell) 2016 version to my friend. Than We will have still two workstations with two versions of sketchup in the office. What should I do to reregister (sell) the 2016 version to other person? Will he be able to use his mail adress? How should We do that?
Thank You in advance for this help.

Probably, you’re in a ‘catch22’ situation:
In order to have support for your 2016 license you need to have an active Maintenance and Support plan.

If the expire date is more then three years ago, you cannot ‘reinstate’ that license and you wll have to buy a new one, anyway.

Ok, So I understand, that if You would like to sell the life time licence for 2016 version. Noone can use that unless he buy upgrade to new version???

It seems completly unbelievable, it is like You couldn’t sell your 3 years car, unless the buyer go to the car dealer and pay for new car???
It is very very unfair and aggressive politic. I really don’t want to believe that.
I was one of the first testers of sketchup and archicad plugin in the begening of 2000’s for @Last Software. It was great team :frowning:

You’re missing what he actually said, the maintenance and support for that license has lapsed, so you would be selling a usable license without any access to maintenance and support.
So it isn’t as valuable as when you bought it. However it will still work. In the same way if you sold him your 3 year old car it will run perfectly but he can’t go back to the dealer and expect them to fix things.
Mind you I believe they wouldn’t be able to reinstall it after about 6 months from the date you update to 2019. Older version on the same license name lose their ability to be installed on a new PC as the assumption is you are now using the newer version.

What you said about six months, I think it’s 60 days, but it wouldn’t apply in this case because the 2019 license is a new one. The 2016 license is at a dead end, but should still be able to activate forever.

I haven’t been able to track down the legalities of selling a permanent license. My suspicion/hope, is that there’s nothing wrong with that. Assuming that it’s ok, @4_spam would contact support from the email on the existing license, and request a transfer of the license to the new owner. We would then adjust the details on the license, and send it to the new owner.

I can’t tell who 4_spam is, so don’t know for sure if there might be other difficulties. For example, if at some point the 2016 license was deactivated, it won’t work for 4_spam, let alone someone who buys it.

1 Like

According to this Post there is a the not-for-resale clause of SketchUp’s end-user license agreement. Nevertheless Sketchup Pro Sale Team can arrange for the transfer of a valid license upon request.

1 Like

They might work out a transfer of the license. At this point in time, considering changes to the 3D Warehouse and other things, I wouldn’t be inclined to give any money for a 2016 license even if it could be transferred. Maybe the price of a cup of coffee but certainly not more.

1 Like