Can I use 2016 and 2019 on one pc?

That’s what I need to hear.
I want to sell the 2016 STILL working software to other person. And he would like to install and activate that on his computer without upgrading.
And I would like to buy the 2019 version (not the upgrade!!!) and register that with my old @adress or the new one.
I understand that this is possible? and the 2016 version will work for him, properly (without maintenance and service) ? is’n it ?
I’m not sure about 60 days? What does that mean? Will he have to install that in 60 days after You transfer the licence to him??

And going back to the beginning, just to be sure - I understand that if I would buy 2019 version (NOT the upgrade) and I would install that to the computer with 2016 (not upgrated), the 2016 version will not work anymore ???
Let me see if I understand that.
What sketchup team @ adress should I send the transfer request?

DaveR, sometimes there is some value other people don’t see.
Thanks for help

The support contact page is here: Support - Technical Support | SketchUp Help Feel free to mention my name, so that the person handling it is someone who knows about this forum discussion.

Still don’t know about the transfer of ownership, but I would expect that if you handed over the whole 2016 license to them, you would want to remove the license from your existing 2016 install, and uninstall it. Without removing the license you might sell it to him and then he can’t activate it because you’ve already got it activated on your computers.

The 60 days only applies if you have upgraded from 2016 to 2019 on the same license. When you activate a later version of the same license, it’s a commitment to the later version. But, a previously installed older version will continue to work. Which is why you would want to remove the 2016 license. You are stealing an activation from the person you sold to.

The registration of a new 2019 license can be to any email address. It isn’t aware of your previous licenses.

If you have an active Maintenance & Support Plan, then you’re entitled to receive ‘support’

Which states:

Lapsed Maintenance and Support

Three years after your Maintenance & Support subscription has ended, your license will no longer be eligible for renewal and upgrade. Your perpetual license will never expire, but in order to access the latest version of SketchUp Pro, you’ll have to purchase an entirely new, full-cost license.

Hence the Catch22 situation.

License transfers or downgrades are available for customers with an active M&S. There is no period of 6 months or 60 days if you transfer a license, just a normal 3-days-administrative-period.

60-shades of gray

Or days of grace

The 60-days period refers to the ‘grace-period’ that Network license have. There can only be one version active with a network license. If anyone within the company activates a newer version by entering the receive license info, the clocks starts ticking and after 60-days, anyone would have to work with the new version.
That is why we always suggest to use the trial period and not immediately enter the license info, like many users and Admins do (Check if it works,yeah!) Two months after a version upgrade, the requests start coming in to downgrade because of some extension not working anymore…

I do not make the rules. I do not work for Trimble, but I do work for a Distributor of SketchUp. The 2016 license is still active and works perpetually. A license is personal and there is not a way to control ‘who’s behind the keyboard’
I have seen worse abuse of the software. Fun fact (for me): When checking my own license, I discovered that I still have an active license for Version 8 (Windows) Version were OS-specific and I went back to the Mac at some point…

Anybody?

(Note: I do not intend to sell that V8-license for nostalgic reasons…)

I just went and updated the email on some of my old licenses. The really old Mac specific one now shows up for me in the license manager. Apparently I can’t renew support on my SketchUp 5 license.

1 Like

We still have some active Version 2 in our system, they did not even had an email address…

gears.skp (321.0 KB)
v2 file…