Calling for testers for the Trimble Drawing Beta Programme!

But.,

Can’t have it both ways. But then you can’t really speak for Trimble can you?
And why irritate folks here if it’s not for SketchUp
And just because you don’t use Layout, that’s not a good reason to dismiss the concerns of others.

my bad, english is my third language, I’m prompt to making mistakes.

when I wrote this new product is not for Sketchup I meant this new product is not only for Sketchup

I’m not. I’m speaking for me. Same way you can’t speak for SU users. just you.

To quote the poet, * Yeah, well, that’s just, like, your opinion, man*

1 Like

I don’t think I need another ‘plug in’. I just want to get stuff done. Extensions …okay. But I think you’re just trying to get more money out of your products. I get that. But what’s wrong with having a button on the menu that switches you into 2d mode. Then a real layout where you can scale and change sheet sizes…something simple and straightforward. I think I ought to be able to export to a DWG file any time I want. I’m a hobbiest but don’t think I don’t look at other products like onshape.
What is also needed is a single Sketchup and not having to subscribe. If there’s an update…let me know what it does and I’ll pay the difference. But I don’t have time to fiddle-faddle around. I just want one product that’s dependable.

2 Likes

by making a new free tool included with your SU subscription ? you know this is not an extension right ?

1 Like

Well, I’ll give it a try. I’ve been working as an architect for over 40 years now (Woah!), and managed never to be an AutoCAD user in all that time despite the need to import and export DWG files with others. PowerCADD’s DWG translator is getting antiquated now, so I could use a new resource.

Lordy, we are paying a subscription fee, yes, that’s making money, and the assumption behind most subscriptions is that you will get more, for “free” as long as you keep paying, not that you will test something for free so they can later charge you for yet another subscription.

See, the trouble is SU already claims to export to CAD/DWG, so what is this going to do that SU isn’t supposed to do?
Screenshot 2023-05-28 at 12.16.45 PM

My view ( and yes, I could be mistaken ) …

This is not just for SketchUp users – it will be available for other users within the Trimble ecosystem of construction products.

And many of those other users won’t be SketchUp users.

4 Likes

Following on from what I said above, the way I read this is that Trimble Drawing will build on the existing CAD Viewer in Trimble connect which paying SketchUp users get as part of their subscription and, I assume, other paying Trimble product users.

( free users get 10GB but I don’t know if they have access to the CAD Viewer )

My expectation would be that this would not attract additional subscription fees as it would be part of Trimble Connect…

I would be extremely disappointed if it did.

The point is based on the original post:

Trimble Drawing allows users to create a DWG file from scratch, view an existing DWG file and edit a DWG file in the cloud, allowing users to create drawings from their 3D models without leaving the Trimble ecosystem. This app is designed to complement your SketchUp &LayOut workflows. To assist your normal workflows of SketchUp & LayOut, we are interested in understanding how you see Trimble Drawing could be better suited for different type of jobs / projects!

But if SU already exports dog, as it claims, why do we, meaning SU users, need another app, that we’ll have to pay for? though we willl beta test for free, essentially undermining any incentive for Trimble to improve SU dog export. Why would Trimble bother to fix that, if they can get us to freely beta test a product that they can then charge us for. It makes sense for them, but it makes no sense for SU users.

In other words, what is Trimble Drawing offering to SU users that SU doesn’t or is supposed to or should be offering already?

Who’s saying anything about having to pay for it ?

This could all lead to a better Layout and a better CAD if Layout was indeed improved and Sketchup would deal natively with TrimBIM files.

Sketchup as TrimBIM editor.

The main issue would be true curves, nurbs, circles arcs and such. Right?

2 Likes

This seems to be where Drawing could have a lot of utility. It isn’t that, as a SU user, I want to use .dwg. It’s that other non-users do and here is a possibility of a ‘bridging app’. Connect is beginning to look as though it might be useful in solving the ‘herding cats’ problem in terms of managing files and file types.

You are gas lighting.

Certainly NOT gaslighting !

Where does it say that Trimble Drawing will attract additional subscription fees ?

That wasn’t clear to me. I guess I’m just not the subscription type. I’d like to buy it once and then upgrade it if I need it. However your points are well taken and I will explore this more in depth.

Please Trimble, make version 2023 stable first before you put effort in developing new products. I still cannot work with the latest version cause of the bugsplats in no time. Please fix it! I never had any issues like this…black trays and switching between and updating scenes causing splats!

3 Likes

If you turn off scene thumbnails and thumbnail generation, I believe you will have less crashes.

Thanks JQL…Just tried it, but still a crashed after no time. :frowning: I’m just getting worried and confused.