Bug Splat at startup of 2016 Pro

I have Sketchup Pro 2016 on Windows 7 Pro. After rebooting I cannot open Sketchup; always get a “Bug Splat”. The details of the Bug Splat report show a .dmp_ and .xml file. I have no idea what these two files are - their path is C;\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp. The program was working fine until the reboot. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the program. Also Layout 2016 open just fine, but not Sketchup.

I hope you submit the BugSplats to Trimble. They can analyze the splats and tell you where the problem lies. Splat on open is most frequently due to deficiencies in the OpenGL support of your graphic card or driver and they will be able to tell you if this is the case. Second most common is a misbehaving plugin or extension/

@DesignerDick, To determine if graphics card is an issue you can disable the hardware acceleration from the registry as suggested in Can't run SU in Windows 10 - #13 by gadget2020 .

Having the same problem - I think its a misbehaving extension / plugin as I was testing a few last night…

anyone know a command line to start without loading extensions?

path to SketchUp.exe + /DisableRubyAPI

or on a mac path inside app contents + -DisableRubyAPI YES

john

1 Like

Hi John,

thnaks for the quick feedback

yep tried that as it seemed the culprit from all the plugin experimentation from the day before.

It was successful in disabling plugins [great] but it turned out to be the Nvidia Driver …

I installed the latest one 3 weeks ago and it was not a problem unitl startup this morning…

After doing a system restore to pre-install, everything is fine again…

So lesson learned - don’t make assumptions when it comes to computer errors…

thanks

1 Like