I have been working on a huge project for over one year. It contains over 3 million edges and over 1 million faces. It is actually a primary model that contains approximately 500 sub models, most of them about equivalent to a single, detailed and complex model. Nearly all of that has been done in SK8, until the last two weeks. I decided to put SU2015 to the test and it has failed as miserably as is possible. I have been having Bug Splats the last two days and have been trouble shooting this. I have already submitted several BS reports including one with a full write up of what I can tell about the issue, which isn’t much.
This project is intended to push SketchUp to its limits and it does. I have been using SU since day one when it first became available and am at the very high end of user knowledge and competence. I have been programming computers since 1964 so I do know what I am doing, specifically and generally. The machine I currently use is this:
OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Professional
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name TOPDOG
System Manufacturer To be filled by O.E.M.
System Model To be filled by O.E.M.
System Type x64-based PC
Processor AMD FX™-8350 Eight-Core Processor, 4013 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 1903, 7/11/2013
SMBIOS Version 2.7
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume4
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
User Name TopDog\Evan
Time Zone Pacific Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 32.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 31.9 GB
Available Physical Memory 28.7 GB
Total Virtual Memory 34.4 GB
Available Virtual Memory 30.8 GB
I have six drives, 3 are SSD and 3 are spinners, 2 spinners are on USB3. Total 7 terrabytes.
It is my latest build. I have many years of professional training in the computer science arena and have a Masters in the field.
As I have been trouble shooting this series of bug splats I have not been able to discover anything specific to point to the cause. Nearly any action can result in a BS, including copy and paste, simply moving an object next to another, creating a group or component, pasting something into another existing group or just drawing or deleting something.
I keep the working files on another drive so I must back up that drive separately from the system drive. I do system backups every day but only back up the various work drives once in a while. I last backed up this work drive on Jan 12th so the damage isn’t too bad but it is still as nasty as it can be from a piece of software.
I had just had another bug splat. Upon restarting SU2015 I was not able to load the work file. The reason turns out to be that somehow, during the bug splat, all the files in that particular directory were erased. Because it is an SSD drive that happens nearly instantly, even for a number of large files. I do not use the recycle bin so deletions are immediately permanent. Because of the file sizes I routinely work with a recycle bin is another management headache. I will be enabling it for the near future. There is zero chance that I did anything that could have resulted in the file deletions other than use SU2015. That is what I was working on and the files were present before this bug splat and after it they have vanished. They have not been moved anywhere nor are there any temp copies on drive C or anywhere else. The actual file sizes are not as large as you might expect. I know many ways to vastly reduce the file sizes without compromising the model quality This model was running about 53 megs.
For me this is just a hobby as I am both retired and severely disabled. For somebody trying to make a living this would be a disaster. I should not have to extend my automatic daily backup system to include my Sketchup work files. To account for this it would need to be as often as the autosave system. But those files were erased along with my intentional saves every 20 minutes or so. I have to go back about 100 hours of work. I can repair the damage faster than that because I do keep separate copies of all the components as I create them.
At this point I do not recommend using SketchUp 2015 for anything that matters.