ArcMap LAS data to 3D Terrain Model in Sketchup

I’ve tried everything to create a 3D sketchup model from arcmap data. Every plugin, everything, I’m obviously missing something. This is probably more of an arcmap question but I thought i’d post this here too in case anyone has the solution. The dataset is huge, several acres with severe topography.

You had an interesting task, so I looked for a possible solution and was able to transfer the data from a LAS file (Lidar) to a SKP (surface) file, with Open source softwares.

From a site that offers Lidar data I downloaded a LAS file (104 MB) and after a google search I found and followed this tutorial:

and these Youtube tutorials

STEPS:
  • In CloudCompare I opened the LAS file (~4,000,000 points), compute the normals, created the surface and exported it as a PLY file (I got a 366 MB file).

• In MeshLab I imported the PLY file, cleaned and simplified it from ~ 8,000,000 faces to 300,000 and I exported the mesh as OBJ file (24 MB).

• In SketchUp, with the help of the Universal Importer plugin, I imported the OBJ file, reducing it to only 40,000 faces. After saving, a 3 MB SKP file resulted.

2 Likes

The Scan Essential extension will bring in LAS files and you will then be able to visualize and reference the points in SU.

https://extensions.sketchup.com/extension/e51d2e99-5dae-4541-9d39-c3eb3a7d729b/trimble-scan-essentials-for-sketch-up

ChrisD

Thank you so much for taking the time to look for a solution! Is the end result in a form where you can easily make faces? I should’ve been more clearer in my original post; I can get lidar into sketchup but I cant get the final product to be a model with faces.

You’re welcome!

I specified that I reached 40,000 faces in the SKP file and you can see in the screenshots.

I applied different materials on the 3D model obtained from Lidar (LAS) data

pai-02

okay thank you!! Sorry I am a bit of a beginner - I will try this !!